uefi Test ISO

lwfitz

Not right now I don't. I broke my install..... Again..... So I grabbed the efi image and formatted my hard drive as got and ran the installer once I got it booted up.

For some reason grub errors though (like it always seems to on this machine).
Don't Be A Dick!

lwfitz

Thanks VastOne I'll read it now. I'm learning this as I go so thanks for the patience and help guys.
Don't Be A Dick!

lwfitz

I just installed another distro with uefi and it said I'm not on a uefi system which must mean for whatever reason the installer isn't seeing that its an efi board.

I wanted to replace this board anyway so now I have a reason. Ordering one tonight and will continue this in a day or so.
Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

Wow, I need a board too!!!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jedi

;)  BTW, lwfitz, we still exist in the IRC as well!!! See you there soon maybe?   ::)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

lwfitz

Hahaha yep you'll see me soon.... Maybe tonight!
Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

I know man, just a little ribbing!  You need to frequent our "online-tavern" a little more often...
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

I have created another ISO that supports the NVM crap that Jedi got with an MSI he bought...

You can get the ISO here

If anyone ever needs to there is a method to install grub in a back door way OR with chroot

Holler at me or Jedi should you need it
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

OK, so I have done this successfully, however; I have since fubar'd my grub. I still haven't got it fixed. I'm really tired, been fighting with it for to long. Putting the MSI away for a while. Not sure when I'll get back to it, and if/when I do it may be to just sell it.  :(
Forum Netiquette

jedi

Alright.  Sold the POS to the next door neighbors!  Hour later, they want their money back.  :'(  So before taking it out to my burn pit out back, here goes.  I have a UEFI board in this lappy, SecureBoot is "DISABLED", and UEFI mode is enabled. (no legacy bios). GPT drive. of the PCIe NVMe variety. Buyer beware/be aware...  Awseome cause their so fast, small, and run cool.  Not awesome cause they suck with support in Linux.  So yes, having an SSD drive which is also a NVMe M.2 drive, is like walking a tightrope across the Grand Canyon with no rope...   ???
I can't in good conscious advocate for them.
So I can boot (barely, and to the point where I really don't want to reboot and see if it will boot back up) but only in "recovery mode".  Every other way, I get the 1 minute 30 second "A start job is running you stupid POS blah blah blah... 
Yes I have a separate vfat partition that is mounted as /boot/efi.  Yes it is set to boot and as the ESP.  (this is /dev/nvme0n1p1, or /boot/efi)  The root OS (VSIDO of course) is installed at /dev/nvme0n1p3.  And onward to the /home partition which is at /dev/nvme0n1p4.  This is the new naming scheme for the new PCIe (not so new anymore) NVMe solid state drives.
I just want to be able to boot normally.  I know it will, nothing is broken, something is just 'confused'.  I need to be able to issue the command in the cli that tells the system/kernel/OS? how to identify the devices in /dev.  i.e. /dev/disk/by-id/ or /dev/disk/by-uuid/.  I have all the correct UUID's setup and still it hoses on boot with the minute thirty second BS.
I've reinstalled grub-efi, edited /etc/fstab till my face turned blue and my wife called an ambulance. (just kidding, chill) and more 'other' lesser things to no avail.  Not sure what happened with lwfitz, but he was also experiencing some kind of issue and I think I read at some point recently PackRat having some of these minute 30 second BS thing-a-ma-jig episodes...
whew now i'm really tarred
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

Not the fix you want but a fix it is.  Install Manjaro or whatever Linux that does recognize your efi and correctly installs grub.  Install the personal VSIDO ISO I created just for this MSI.  Reboot to Manjaro and run update-grub.  Then leave it alone.  Make fsarchives of both so you have something to fall back on

The refracta links I have provided has a How To on setting up grub with this installer. It goes over 3 different methods to get it done

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Quote from: VastOne on October 19, 2016, 03:52:17 PM
Not the fix you want but a fix it is.  Install Manjaro or whatever Linux that does recognize your efi and correctly installs grub.  Install the personal VSIDO ISO I created just for this MSI.  Reboot to Manjaro and run update-grub.  Then leave it alone.  Make fsarchives of both so you have something to fall back on

The refracta links I have provided has a How To on setting up grub with this installer. It goes over 3 different methods to get it done

I do not remember where those links might be? (the refracta 3 different ones)  I'll be ecstatic with any fix!!!  This install is installed using the ISO you created for the nvm_only for me.  Works great.  I'm just not sure it is a VSIDO issue is all I wanted to suggest.  I'm going to sleep for a while now.  Tonight when I wake up this will be my wonderful excuse for not having to sit through another debate with wife watching our pathetic candidates for prez. ;')
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

I shared the link here

Also on IRC and emails promoting the refracta assistance on their web site.  fsmithred has been incredible in assisting on any issues with the refracta tools we use

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on October 19, 2016, 03:52:17 PM

QuoteThis install is installed using the ISO you created for the nvm_only for me.  Works great.

Since jedi can apparently install from the VSIDO_nvm iso, then has trouble with booting, maybe install it first, then on it's own small partition install the Manjaro, minimal net addition -. After the install of Manjaro, he can edit the /etc/default/grub file to make VSIDO the default. Use the minimal Manjaro install as a rescue OS. Might need to put a hold on grub in the VSIDO apt so it doesn't whack anything.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

lwfitz

Well, looks like I'm not the only one having issues getting installed.
Received the new board yesterday

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/

Along with a new chassis and got everything transfered over. In doing so I dropped my CPU and bent a pin..... Sigh.

Now that I have replacement parts and I have my helmet on I've been working on getting installed.

I've got uefi boot on, secure boot off, a fat partition for boot/grub and have even had a couple good installs with no errors and still can't boot.

Just to make sure my settings were correct I installed with a purple distro and  everything installed just fine and booted no problem
Don't Be A Dick!