Guinea Pig checking in :P

Xtreme

Hi all just finished installing VSIDO.  Only know enough about linux to get myself in trouble so the install time was over an hour :)

Originally downloaded VSIDO Liquorix Kernel 3.7.0-6 but the installer didn't work so switched to VSIDO towo-Siduction Kernel 3.7-1 and everything is working great.

Since I got it installed I'm sure anyone can. Thanks for this distro and keep up the good work!

VastOne

Welcome Xtreme to our little slice of the Linux Community!   ;D

Can you elaborate more on what happened with the Liquorix kernel?  Was there any errors, did the installer even start etc..

I apologize for the inconvenience...

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Welcome Xtreme, glad your here.

If you are still interested in the latest Liquorix kernel you can install it using SMXI. Theres a nice howto that VastOne wrote in my signature if you need help with SMXI.

Im wondering, you said the installer didnt work, what did it do? Just so we can let VastOne know. Thanks for the help.

Edit:

HAHA great minds think alike  8)
Don't Be A Dick!

Xtreme

No errors, just clicked menu button and nothing happened.  Briefly thought about googling how to invoke the install script through a terminal but then decided to try a different kernel.

VastOne

OK, thanks...

I will test it tonight to see if I can trace it.

I appreciate you letting us know!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Xtreme

No problem, if there is anything you want me to break, erhmm Test :P just let me know.  Happy to help out.

lwfitz

Can you please post the output of

lspci

I had this happen when I installed on older hardware and eventually the installer did start, just a little slow.
Don't Be A Dick!

Xtreme

Here it is:
00:00.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.6 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
00:00.7 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:08.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:09.0 ISA bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
00:09.1 SMBus: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a3)
00:0a.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a1)
00:0a.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:0c.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)
00:0d.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)
00:0d.1 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)
00:0d.2 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge (rev a2)
00:0e.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:10.0 Bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a3)
00:11.0 Bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a3)
00:16.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105/VT6106S [Rhine-III] (rev 86)
02:0b.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) [iOHCI-Lynx]
03:00.0 Mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3132 Serial ATA Raid II Controller (rev 01)

lwfitz

Odd, I dont see any reason for that installer to be slow to start. Might have just been a bad download, but if theres an issue with it VastOne will find it  ;D

Don't Be A Dick!

falldown

Xtreme Welcome to VSIDO!
You will love Linux.

dizzie

Hello Xtreme!

And welcome to the nuthouse, remember to leave your sanity by the door, you'll not need it here :)

Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

Sector11

Welcome to VSIDO Xtreme

Don't worry, the learning curve isn't as steep as you may think.

And when in doubt with a command line call, use a man page to find out what it is:
man lspci

and if you are still in doubt, don't hesitate - ask.

Lots of good info in the VSIDO Wiki as well, check the link at the top of the page.
Stay Home

jedi

Hello Xtreme!  Welcome to VSIDO!  We'll make sure the learning curve is not too steep.  Once you get started, Linux is an addictive OS...  Great group here in our Community, you'll enjoy...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jst_joe

Quote from: Xtreme on January 24, 2013, 03:53:03 AM
Hi all just finished installing VSIDO.  Only know enough about linux to get myself in trouble so the install time was over an hour :)

Originally downloaded VSIDO Liquorix Kernel 3.7.0-6 but the installer didn't work so switched to VSIDO towo-Siduction Kernel 3.7-1 and everything is working great.

Since I got it installed I'm sure anyone can. Thanks for this distro and keep up the good work!

Welcome Xtreme

You running an AMD box by any chance?
I had the same problem with the Liquorix kernel on a fresh install.
You can run smxi and add the Liquorix now.
If that's what you want.
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

dizzie

AMD is the best!  :-*

But yeah not much love for our CPU's, there is a small fix though. Its called amd-microcode (or somthing like that) Its almost 4am here, dont expect me to remember much!
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |