Network disconnects and can only restart with a reboot

VastOne

Anyone else seeing an instance where VSIDO/debian network loses its connection and cannot be restarted except and only with a reboot?

I can't pinpoint why it is disconnecting (may be a faulty UPS I have it plugged into since I never saw it with this much frequency since I installed it) but it shouldn't be impossible to restart a freaking network
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

I suspect it to be a brand/firmware- related issue. I get same issue with the machine I have without a intel netcard.

Intel cards for some reason are just chugging a long like nothing is wrong.
Granted those 2 machine runs an older kernel(4 and 5), still Debian (10 and 11).
Anything with Realtek or Broadcom here, needs a reboot every 2nd day.

As for Debian SID and VSIDO, it's possible that it can be narrowed down to two things. 1 Firmware/Driver, or 2 Systemd. I'll try a reinstall on one of my older PCs with intel netcards, and see if my theory is true! (it probably isn't  8) )
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

VastOne

The UPS I mentioned has been eliminated and the issue persists after it was gone.

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

Oh good! My problem went away after I installed a newly bought Intel netcard

VastOne

Mine seems to be more related to network line issues in the area. After it went down for an extended period last night, I called the provider and as they investigated they saw issues of bad connections and down times over the last several weeks and have dispatched a tech to look into it tomorrow.

That's all well and good but the real issue I wanted this to be about is why the hell can't we stop/start/restart the network in Debian anymore? The commands work for it to happen but it does not restart at all and it is a pain in the arse

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

Yeah! I usually just swear and try my best linux-fu with the 'ifup' 'ifdown' commands, not always working out.

VastOne

To close this out, this is still an ongoing issue with VSIDO/Debian/Linux in having to restart the entire cpu just to restart the network and that's a bitch. The silver lining was contacting my ISP about all the down time and they noticed something was amiss during the call and for whatever reasons, I have not had a single instance of an outage since. Up to that call I was seeing it drop up to 10 times a day. 

I dev VSIDO