Author Topic: Essential Android Apps  (Read 1434 times)

statmonkey

• View Profile
Essential Android Apps
« on: September 24, 2014, 02:09:33 AM »
In another thread someone mentioned a subject near and dear to my heart, that being book readers. I thought I would start something to see if we could collect favorite apps.  I have three phones, two for hacking around on and one that I use for some of it's intended purposes.  I also have two tablets and a little device I built that is sort of an android media player that I tote around with me when I travel.  So I sort of get into this stuff.

Moon + Reader - I already mentioned it's library management capabilities, which are pretty awesome.  It syncs across devices so wherever you are your book is ready and it also includes a facility to use various dictionaries and wikipedia for quick reference while you are reading.  What I didn't mention is it's ability to nest a cops opds library within the library.  This essentially means that for my own purposes I have complete instant access to my full library wherever I am without having to load the library onto the device.  Fwiw I have a reasonably sized online library and if anyone is interested in having access to it just PM me and I will send you a link.  In MoonReader you can set this as a net library and have it instantly available in the app.  It's pretty nice.

PLEX - I have already mentioned Plex elsewhere as well.  This adds the ability to access and catalogue your stored media.  I am old school so I have about 6 TB of movies and music.  Plex handles this and displays it well.  It's probably worth it for the fact that you can put TED talks on your TV with Chromecast.

Subsonic - Plex is really in home but I want my music with me.  Enter Subsonic which is basically the ability to access my audiobooks and music wherever I am.  It's ability to use the playlists that I have already built in mpd makes it a no-brainer.  It's ability to be accessed anywhere makes it useful.  Note: Does not play well with apache2.

Keepassdroid - With dropbox works to have my pwords anywhere and they are secure

Textra - Personally think this is the best texting/sms there is if you send media or files in your texts

AirDroid and FTP server - these are two apps that make moving junk back and forth between your box and your phone inconsequential.  Really handy when you want to do something in a hurry.

I root everything I own and some of these are probably more than what others may want.

Tasker - Think bash on steroids for your phone.  It has a learning curve but once up and running you can automate about anything.

Titanium Backup - just a must have, especially if you are a rom changer like I am

SMS Backup and Restore - not sure if this requires root but a great little app that backs up your sms to dropbox or drive or even gmail if you want.

TWRP - Makes modding/ROM changing fool proof.

jedi

• DEFCON 1
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
    • NixNut.com
Re: Essential Android Apps
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:25:45 AM »
Good Grief!  3 cell phones?  I have a land line.  I don't even have a cell phone.  My home phone is NOT a rotary dial phone however.
I also have a Nexus 7 that is totally awesome!  It has been 'rooted' since I bought it and I switch between Cyanogenmod and Android intermittently.  Currently using the latest Android version.
AirDroid is a 'must have' for anyone using a 'droid type device, while also using a computer.  Talk about simplifying file transfers.
I use Aldiko for a reader, but will definitely be trying out Moon + Reader.
I use PowerAmp for a music player, and as a matter of fact, I like the app so much I bought it!  Recently all I do is drive around in my Lazy-Boy recliner, so the Nexus sits by the bed playing music 24/7.  I do everything else on one of the two laptops.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

•      v-ger
    • View Profile
    • VSIDO Community
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:24:22 AM »
Thanks for starting this statmonkey...  I will ping you later on some how to's.. or best methods.  I would really like VSIDO in an ARM version ... someday

I use my Nexus 7 now (not rooted) primarily for my outdoor needs... golf running cycling reading and music but promise to look at everything you have done and use
VSIDO      VSIDO Twitter     VSIDO FB     VSIDO Google+   

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:39:08 PM »
 I would definitely be interested in an arm version.  I don't think it would be that massive an undertaking.  I might peek at that once I get my system back to fully functional. :)