Install Issues

lwfitz

Once again I had issues with my install.

Since the release of VSIDO ll I have noticed issues with gpu lockup and kernel panics while trying to get the live disk booted.

Until today adding

nouveau.modeset=o
or
nvidia.modeset=0

to the boot commands would get me booted up and able to install but none of that worked today. In fact booting up in failsafe
didnt do it and the only way I could get booted up was to remove "quiet" from the boot commands and then it took like 5 min to boot up.

Once I got booted up I was able to install just fine and then rebooted. At reboot I found myself stairing at a blinking white cursor that then froze and I had to force shutdown.
Adding

nouveau.modeset=0

got me booted up this time and then I was able to install nVidia drivers via smxi.

Normally when installing nVidia drivers (if nouveau is installed) I would have to reboot and then re-run the installer to get the drivers to install. Since I have had this issue
I do not have to reboot and nouveau module gets removed the first time even though its supposed to be running.

So my guess is that this some compatibility between my GPU and nouveau and causing nouneau to not load properly.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

I have three machines that I run VSIDO on regularly. The other two are ATI and have no issues at all.

This machine is running a

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] (rev a1)
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Is it possible that at any time you could have hit ctrl c and it would have continued?

I ask this because you said it worked when you said you switched off quiet, did you have to interact with it in any way?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Nope, after removing quiet it just very slowly booted up. Before that when it booted to the blinking/dead cursor it was completely frozen. ctrl+c did nothing and neither did ctrl+alt+f1 (or f2, f3, f4, f5, f6 or f7).

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

I am installing now and trying to reproduce this

Man I hate that fecking avatar....

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Right on, I really think though that its compatibility with this GPU and nouveau.

LOL! I knew you would  :D
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

You are really out to piss me off aren't you?

That fecking avatar and the worst tag line ever with

sudo rm -rf /

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

HAHAHA wow you just noticed that? Its been there for months!

Looking for a better avatar now
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Nope... I just got around to bitching about it...  ;D

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Just installed on two different machines...

Both installed right at 4 minutes...

Both booted perfectly

Sorry bud, this does seem to be hardware specific...

I told you not to buy that stuff from dizzie, he got it from a trash heap and sold it to you...  ???

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am BLIND .... forever BLIND

Damn ... PUT the OLD avatar back!

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

:D :D When in doubt blame dizzie!

It isnt really a big deal. Once it boots Im ok and then it runs fantastic with nVidia installed. Remember you asking why I HAD to get nVidia installed? This is one big reason
;D

Edit:

The new avatar is special just for you VastOne
Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

Hey lwfitz, I also have had 'issues' with your video card!   ???

I also have almost the exact same card, but I think one generation newer.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GTX 660M]
An issue since the beginning has been with logging out.  Can't do it, never have been able to.  Simply drops me to a black screen with a white blinking cursor at the top left.  This is after installing the nvidia driver via sgfxi, and once at that screen, I am able to get to a tty.  But I digress.
I have not had issue with booting the liveUSB (ISO) ever.  I do NOT have to edit Grub to get a live session and didn't have to this time as well.  It was fast and error free.  It has always been that way for me with VSIDO.  I also have to always install the nvidia driver twice, as sgfxi does not successfully stop the nouveau driver the first time.

After much reading on this, I do not believe it is associated with VSIDO.  I think it is occurring throughout the Linux spectrum and has more to do with the newer graphics cards (certainly the GTX 650, 660, 670, 675, etc.) and nvidias 'attempt' at a driver for it.

On the other hand however, If I do not install the nvidia driver, and just let the system use the nouveau driver, all works wonderfully well with my system including logging out!  Since I never use 'logout' I haven't spent much time trying to chase the issue down, having always assumed it was related to nvidia and there was nothing little ole me could do about it.  To be fair though, I've only ever used the nouveau driver for a couple of reboots before installing the nvidia driver.  I'm not sure why I have always done this other than to say "hey I can use the nvidia driver now" without having to resort to Bumblebee.

On this latest ISO, like I said, I had no issues at all.  Also, for the record, I do have to modify grub after installing nvidia so the line your talking about in Grub is as follows;
"quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0"
Obviously the nomodeset and the following nouveau part are to ensure the nvidia driver makes my card work, the rest is related to how acpi handles the keyboard backlight.  Well the acpi_osi=Linux is to try to 'trick' the system and get my screen backlight to be adjustable as well.  Haven't got that one figured out yet either.  Since it isn't an 'issue' for me, I've been lazy and not chased it down yet.  The screen brightness adjustments still elude me.  I have read posts at 'other' forums claiming that installing the monstrosity of gnome or KDE might quite possibly 'fix' the FN dim/bright keys but I haven't stooped to that indignity yet.  I have my kbd backlight working and that is good enough for me.  However, good enough for me isn't whats good enough for the community, so I'll work a little harder at trying to resolve this.

Sorry I feel like I hijacked your thread!   :-[
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

lwfitz

Since this all started with VSIDO ll........ So either something changed with how VSIDO is loading nouveau or nouveau has changed how is is loading.......... Im inclined to believe this is a nouveau specific issue rather than a VSIDO issue.

I would also like to say that I dont believe I have installed any other distro on this machine since I got this card so I cant really say how others act. I guess I should download something similar and see how that ones does and then update.

Jed, I am thinking maybe the backilights have gone out on my Asus laptop. Im ordering a new keyboard so hopefully that will take care of it.

Thanks for all the info guys
Don't Be A Dick!