Hello

Dodge Ram

I was on another forum and I seen a link to come here. Being curious I downloaded the live cd and I am trying it now. I am a big fan of Debian based distros and have a tendency to distro hop. I have a couple of questions.

(Some people might cringe) I like gnome2. Can Gnome2 be ran on the desktop?
In order to get a printer to work, do you have to install the drivers and cupps? I have no luck at all with installing the drivers for my Brother printer.

Thanks

falldown

Welcome Dodge Ram to VSIDO.!!
I am not sure if gnome2 is even in the repos, but I am sure that it would run just fine.
and yes I do believe that cups is required to use a printer.

VastOne

Hi Dodge Ram and welcome to VSIDO and the community we are glad you are here...

Cups and all printing needs are part of vsido-welcome script that runs on the first boot up after the install, it should handle everything you need for printing
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Dodge Ram

Ok, thanks. I didn't see anything on the live cd, so iwas wondering about that. I like the looks of the distro, I might as well experiment with it. Thanks.

jedi

Welcome to VSIDO Dodge Ram!  You'll like it here, the community is really great, and very helpful too!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Dodge Ram

I have to ask, what does VISDO stand for?

VastOne

VISDO or VSIDO?   ;)

Vast SID One

V SID O...

It had a nice ring and became the name

I dev VSIDO

Dodge Ram

I AM HOOKED!!!!

I have tried other distros and I would have printer problems. #!, Solus and others. The only 2 that would work with my Brother printer is Ultimate (too much, too big) and Ubuntu(Ick). Until now.It worked as soon as I turned it on and I am happy. For some reason I couldn't get it to work in Debian.
            After some personal problems and issues I think I might be able to start conky'in again. Now I need to try to re-learn everything again. Thanks

VastOne

Great to hear you got it going Dodge Ram, well done!

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

Dodge Ram - where have I heard that name before.  ::)

Welcome to VSIDO, Chevy country!   :D
Just kidding ... the welcome is real.
Stay Home

Dodge Ram

#! and Ubuntu forums you helped me out a lot on my conky and gave me a weather conky.

jedi

Quote from: Dodge Ram on May 13, 2013, 08:33:16 PM
#! and Ubuntu forums you helped me out a lot on my conky and gave me a weather conky.
hehehe :D
I think Sector11 has given all of us his Conky's!!!  Sector11 is the most famous Conky guy around when it comes to sharing his Conky!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Sector11

Quote from: Dodge Ram on May 13, 2013, 08:33:16 PM

I knew that.  :D   Now I'm ashamed to say I can't find them, and it's only every 7th blue moon I clean out old conkys.  :(
Stay Home

Sector11

Quote from: jedi on May 13, 2013, 09:07:44 PM
hehehe :D
I think Sector11 has given all of us his Conky's!!!  Sector11 is the most famous Conky guy around when it comes to sharing his Conky!

What's this "share"!  You didn't get my bill?   :D
Stay Home

Dodge Ram

I've given you my 2 cents before S11, but who hasn't.
I got Gnome2 working great, but I am going to play around with xfce also.