(SOLVED ) latest iso

burntbiscuits

I downloaded the 1-2.3-8 3 times now and every time I start safe or regular it wont grab usb mouse and or keyboard so I am left with the Login and cant do anything
do i need to set something different on startup to grab ?
I have  installed vsido 3 weeks ago but didnt have these issues

Burnt

dizzie

Hardware specs please (paste output of "lspci" please)
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

burntbiscuits

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF100 [GeForce GTX 480] (rev a3)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF100 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 03)

burntbiscuits

Ok , burned to cd and it WORKS...
apparently I have 2 bad / corrupt 16GB USB drives
I used  dd on both of them
oh well

VastOne

^ It is possible that you did not let dd to complete...

dd can be very picky at times and be slower and even though it appears to be done, it is not finished copying.. I always wait 5 extra minutes when I dd to be sure
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

By the way, welcome to VSIDO and the Community, we are glad to have you!

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Quote from: VastOne on April 12, 2013, 12:19:34 AM
^ It is possible that you did not let dd to complete...

dd can be very picky at times and be slower and even though it appears to be done, it is not finished copying.. I always wait 5 extra minutes when I dd to be sure

Exactly what I was going to say. Thats assuming they were created using dd and not unetbootin..... unetbootin has never worked right for me.
Don't Be A Dick!

falldown

I have no complaints with unetbootin.. Always seems to work for me.. (99.5% of the time) :) glad you got it sorted out  burntbiscuits.
Don't throw those flash drives out just yet.. use gparted to scan and repair any bad sectors. Oh and welcome to VSIDO.

lwfitz

Code (falldown) Select
I have no complaints with unetbootin.. Always seems to work for me.. (99.5% of the time)

Youre not the first person to tell me that, For some reason everytime I have used it I get a boot loop at the unetbbotin screen.
It certainly wouldnt be the first time I made something really easy not work and then had to do it the hard way  ;D
Don't Be A Dick!

jst_joe

Quote from: lwfitz
It certainly wouldnt be the first time I made something really easy not work and then had to do it the hard way  ;D

:o I've always thought of dd as being the easy way.
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

dizzie

unetbootin.... meh

Grown ups use 'dd'

dd if=(path and name of iso) of=/(device of usb) BS=64k; sync

fx.

dd if=/home/dizzie/downloads/vsido.iso of=/dev/sdc BS=64k; sync

falldown

Quote from: dizzie on April 13, 2013, 08:40:56 AM
Grown ups use 'dd'

:D maybe so, but if you are like me and like to reuse your flash drives for things other then just the latest VSIDO.. Unetbootin does not make your drive a pain in the but to reformat and label.

VastOne

^ That is interesting.  I use gparted to reset the USB and never have an issue with it

I dev VSIDO

falldown

After using dd i always get some sort of block sector locked connot be formated error in gparted.. then I have to shut gparted down and reformat it again. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries. I have one flash drive that is perma-labeled crunchbang. It will not let me relabel it.

dizzie

gparted, make msdos is the quick and easy way, but yeah, i have like a handful of 4gb's usb keys :)