been here, done that

jefsview

Greetings from the shadows. I've been using VSIDO since the first release, but have just lurked about these forums, enjoying the OS and drinking in all of the wonderful conky scripts.

I've using Linux as my only OS of choice for a year and a half now, learning the ins and outs and trying to get all of my hardware to work :)  I began with Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Mint and the likes, tried Crunchbang and #! SID, toyed with Sabayon and others. Lots of distro-hopping as you can guess.

Currently I'm booting Manjaro and Debian Sid after building my first new box.

VSIDO was nearly perfect out of the box (it didn't like my original machines realtek driver, but it was an easy one to solve). In fact, I have 2 VSIDO installs, one Xfce and on set for Fluxbox as a backup for when the freeze is over ;)

Just wanted to say "hi" and let VastOne know that he did good   :)

-- Jeff

VastOne

Welcome to VSIDO Jeff, we are glad that your lurking days are over!

Nice intro and background... It is good to know that people are using VSIDO without the need of these forums to get it going and keep it running

I appreciate the feedback and your kind word!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Welcome jefsview glad your enjoying VSIDO! Glad your here!
Don't Be A Dick!

Sector11

Hi Jeff --- Welcome to VSIDO - nice to see you out of lurk mode.  :)

Freeze?  What freeze?  No freeze with SID.

Until you break it, until you decide to install something over it, VSIDO will be the latest as long as you do up on a regular basis:
alias up='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'

Coffee is in the back, if you take the last cup be kind, make a fresh pot.  8)
Stay Home

jefsview

Vastone -- my older box with the realtek driver was the only "problem" i had with install, but that was easily fixed by manually installing the nonfree driver and modprobing it. Had to do that with Siduction, too. A year ago, it was beyond me. Otherwise the installs have been easy. And you included most of everything I was used to using like geany and gdebi and ntfs-3g.

Sector11 -- well, SID's been awfully quiet and tame the last year or so. That's kinda scary  ???

When I first ran Sid, just about every other update seemed to break it; of course, I wasn't used to it yet either. But it never hurts to be safe with a back-up OS just in case. I have 2 HDD's, plus and external, so I've got plenty of room.

And I'm a Pisces -- I like lots of choices and sometimes I head for the extremes  :o

jst_joe

Howdy jefsview!
Good you made it out of the shadows.
You may have to do that up alias fairly often.
Someone said VastOne's really a Distro-Bot.  ::)
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

VastOne

Quote from: jefsview on March 04, 2013, 01:23:31 AM
And I'm a Pisces -- I like lots of choices and sometimes I head for the extremes  :o

This we have in common! ... I bet you are a musician too
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

jefsview was over heard saying

SID's been awfully quiet and tame the last year or so. That's kinda scary  ???

I did not hear that - I will not get nervous ... I will not get nervous ... I will not get nervous ...
I will not get nervous ... I will not get nervous ... I will not get nervous ... maybe a bit! ::)

:D
Stay Home

jefsview

Quote from: VastOne on March 04, 2013, 01:26:45 AM
This we have in common! ... I bet you are a musician too

A tone-deaf dabbler-wannabe.

But I've been known to have been a small press writer of strange, sometimes horrific fiction before (check out Bare Bone anthologies via Amazon). Currently I just make 3D artwork for my own fun. Carrara works fine via Wine, but it's time consuming.

jedi

Welcome jefsview!  Glad you got the 'lurking' out of the way!   :D  VSIDO is awesome and the community ain't to bad either.  Being an avid reader, I'll definitely be checking out the "Bare Bone anthologies"!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous