Fluxbox Styles

statmonkey

:D

hmm there might be an acronym somewhere ....? RTFM or something?

Honestly, I have never given flux a real shot.  PJ (pre-jedi) I did an install and didn't use the box for a few days other than reading posts and mail and then the first time I had to actually do some work I got impatient and installed OB.  I really am trying to give it it's just due and actually am reading the manual.  The wiki seems to have died though, kind of a bummer. 

Thanks for the info PackRat and the light rap on the knuckles.  You are of course correct, criticizing or disdaining an app without really diving into the documentation is unfair to you and the application.

PackRat

Not a wrap on the knuckles.... if you have not used fluxbox you would not know that the wm itself and the main config file (keys, apps, menu) have a man page. There is also the the ~/.fluxbox/overlay file that VSIDO makes use of; this is a style template that will standardize some style elements - like fonts. Take a look at that one too.

The fluxbox wiki got moved to that github page ( http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.html ) - use the search at the bottom and a reprint of the old wiki page will come up.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

statmonkey

Thanks for that info, now have the wiki up.  Great.  I will look at the overlay as well.

I was not really feeling chastised, I appreciate the input.  I guess my pithy sense of humor does not display itself in these posts.  I would have thought the avatar was a hint tho.  8)

jedi

If only you'd chosen one from when I was 16!  I thought the avatar showed a very pithy (maybe slightly bent) sense of humor!

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

statmonkey

It was tempting Jedi but that would not be in keeping with your original post.  Now if you want to start using an avatar from when you were 16 I will switch to Cheryl from the same time frame.  I really don't think she is looking that horrible considering Meg Ryan and Renee Zellwinger photo's I have seen recently.

VastOne

^ HA!  Those were my exact thoughts along with.. DAMN!  I am glad I quit smoking!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Oh, why not.

Belated birthday (Sept 25) wishes to Ms. Tiegs.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

You guys are too much!  :D
I can not post any Cheryl Tiegs pic's from when I was that young (was I ever that young?) as my wife Cheryl might cut something off in my sleep!  :D
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

I just might make the next version the Tiegs version...

Back on track, I have started using tabbed apps together and all I can say is ...

How did I miss this for so long now using fluxbox?

I blame PackRat...  ???

Thanks statman for bringing it up....

This makes fluxbox that much better... Right now I have GMB, Iceweasel and Xchat all tabbed and it is cool as hell

Is there a way to tab between each one rather than to mouse to them? Super Key plus tab does it quite well
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Just like windows, but with tabs:

# cycle through tabs in the current window
Mod4 Tab :NextTab
Mod4 Shift Tab :PrevTab

one thing I can't figure out is how to start tabbing with a key binding. Using DetachClient to remove a tabbed window from the group is straight forward, but adding a window to a tabbed group appears to require a mouse.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

statmonkey

I haven't noticed anything I don't like about the tab setup, except what PackRat has already mentioned when I open a new app I have to drag it into the tab grouping I want.  I have 3 screens and one screen has my dev tabs, one screen has my play tabs (browser, email, music) and the other has my calendar, todoist, geany for note taking and each of the three have either a root or regular terminator window.  It's just incredibly cool and efficient.  I too am searching for a key combo to add an app to a tab group.  I am sure it's been done but no luck yet.  The alt+tab shifts between groups by the way and the win+tab shifts within a group.  Too cool!

Almost forgot.  I too blame PackRat  :P

PackRat

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Been cleaning up my ~/.fluxbox/apps file and came across this in the man page concerning the [Deco] value that can be set -

The value may also be a bitmask for finer-grained control. The bits are, from (1<<0) to (1<<10):
               Titlebar, Handle/Grips, Border, Iconify Button, Maximize Button, Close Button, Menu Button, Sticky
               Button, Shade Button, External Tabs, Focus Enabled.

In my apps file, I usually set the decor for apps to TAB (just the TAB) or NORMAL (all window decor). The above statement from the man page means that the decor of a window can be fine tuned - just a tab and border for example - once you decipher what those bitmaks mean. I did a quick google search and found this page:

http://www.coreymwamba.co.uk/testbed/fluxboxdeco

pretty straight forward.

I always thought it would be good - functionally and aesthetically -to have at least the TAB and the BORDER set for windows and groups, so I messed around with the [Deco] values based on that link and came up with:

I'm really liking it. More of the beauty of fluxbox.

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

statmonkey

1. How in the world did you find that?
2. Sad that you have to quote the man pages to us ...but a good idea to do it
3. That is freaking amazing.  Really.
4. Wait, what is that again?
      ........ wait so I can .....
      .......  oh the geeky wonder of it all !!!!
      Not sure I have ever been that into look and feel but the nerd aspect is awesome.
5. Big thank you for something that is interesting, informative and pretty fun.  Cool.  Will be playing with it and report back.

PackRat

I've known it was there for a while - when I first started using groups - but passed it by because I had no idea what they meant by bitmasks. Finally got off my ass and researched it some more. Should note that if you use that link for a guide and use something like:

[Deco]    {1606}

next time you log into fluxbox the code will be something like:

[Deco]   {0x647}

I don't know when that conversion gets made.

And for those of you who like the windec buttons on the left like a mac or ubuntu, find these two lines in the ~/.fluxbox/init file:

session.screen0.titlebar.left: Close Maximize Minimize
session.screen0.titlebar.right: Shade Stick

and arrange the buttons to your liking:

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo