wifi card [ SOLVED ]

Gordon

Hi PackRat

No couldn't set it up as it wouldn't connect. I have an idea what the router name and password are but it won't let me set them. That s to say I dont know what to do or find out where I can ediit them.
Iwconfig does find the card and come up with a load of info but I haven't found where I can edit them or how to
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

PackRat

QuoteMy router is provided by SKY

So the router is owned by your internet provider? You may need to get with them about setting up a wireless connection.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat
Been in contact wit SKY but no use could not help or didn't want to. Can't find out ip address or anthing else from them. Only concerned  about providing broadband and nothing else
Gordon

PackRat

That was nice of them.....not!

When you get your wired network back up and running, you can run this command from a terminal:

ip route | grep default

That will give results similar to:

default via 192.168.0.1 dev wlan0

That ip address is your router/gateway. Don't actually post the results, but once you have that ip address and your wireless card recognized, it's straightforward to set up the wireless network. What brand is the modem? You can check their site for the model number and there should be a step-by-step How To. Or at least the operators manual.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quick question Gordon.. Is there anything in this place already connecting to a wifi setup? A phone or tablet or laptop perhaps?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

^ this; good question.

Gordon, I am assuming you have a physical router in your home and are set up something like:

Computer ---> Router ---> Modem ---> Internet.

Someone with a similar issue did not actually have the hardware, his isp only allowed the modem and controlled the rest.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on January 27, 2021, 04:11:56 PM
^ this; good question.

Gordon, I am assuming you have a physical router in your home and are set up something like:

Computer ---> Router ---> Modem ---> Internet.

Someone with a similar issue did not actually have the hardware, his isp only allowed the modem and controlled the rest.

This is why in my area we tell the ISP's to shut the wifi completely down on their modems and we handle the wifi with our routers, because theirs are known disasters

I am concerned that lspci is not showing this card.. and if it is not I am further concerned that it is a firmware issue... to be clear also, ceni has changed in such a way that it appears not to see anything but it is completely different now. Below is a screenshot of what you see now. Notice how it says No Value under Hardware Interfaces? But I can go to the logical interface of eth0 and select it there and ceni works as it always has giving the options to reconfigure it

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne, PackRat
Yes there are several items connected to my WiFi.
There are Samsung phone ,two Samsung tablets and an iPhone 8 plus several other items when the grand children are here, all have no problem
My router is provided by SKY.
That is the screen I get when I run Ceni. the only difference is when I have the WiFi card in I get wlp2s0 in place of enp2s15
Gordon

VastOne

Gordon, do you mean your modem is provided by SKY? 

My setup:

Computer --> My Router (handles all wifi) --> My Internet Service Provider (Spectrum) Modem --> Internet

In that scenario and just like you, the only thing I can do with the Spectrum / Sky modem is turn it off or on

Now one thing I cannot get clear.. Why is it that you cannot have both the wifi card and ethernet together on the same pc at the same time?  There shouldn't be a network conflict with either until both were configured but from a hardware setup they should be able to both be installed until that setup

Is it that each require the same slot in the computer? If that is not the case, there should be no reason why both cannot be installed at the same time

Now that you have confirmed that we you have wifi setup on other phones and tablets, we should be able to get you going using even ceni now .. We are going to need the settings for wifi connectivity from one of those devices , the name of the wifi and it's password to connect to it

Now we need that card installed so that ceni can see it and you connected to the internet and access to VSIDO from another device so we can walk you through it ..   

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne
Yes my router/modem is provided by SKY.
I have only one WiFi card on my computer, the one that I  have just bought. the wired connection is built into the motherboard. The only other cards I have are a graphics card and an audio card.
here is my latest lspci output.

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS690 Host Bridge
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Graphics Port 0)
00:12.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI0)
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI1)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI2)
00:13.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI3)
00:13.4 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI4)
00:13.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 IDE
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs EMU10k2/CA0100/CA0102/CA10200 [Sound Blaster Audigy Series] (rev 04)
02:07.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy Game Port (rev 04)
02:07.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04)
02:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
02:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

I don't know why both won't work at the same time but if both are connected neither of them works, I have to take the WiFi card out to get the wired one to connect to the internet.
No idea how to find out the WiFi name and password the other things use
Gordon

PackRat

QuoteThere are Samsung phone ,two Samsung tablets and an iPhone 8 plus several other items when the grand children are here, all have no problem

Are they connected to the wireless service provided by your cell phone service? That wifi is usually different from the wifi provided by your isp/ router. I have Verizon cell service that the phones and ipad use. The wireless on my router that the computers use, I set up myself; the isp is Atlantic Broadband.

QuoteI don't know why both won't work at the same time but if both are connected neither of them works, I have to take the WiFi card out to get the wired one to connect to the internet.

That sounds like a BIOS issue. How old is this computer, and what brand/model.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Gordon, can you please put the wifi card in and do an lspci, capture the information and then get back connected and send the info?

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi PackRat, Vastone

Sorry for not getting back yesterday, was rather busy.
No not connected by cell phone provider.
age of computer bios date 3/3/2008, so I have had this board at least from then

spci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS690 Host Bridge
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Graphics Port 0)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 7914
00:12.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI0)
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI1)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI2)
00:13.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI3)
00:13.4 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI4)
00:13.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 IDE
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (rev 1a)
03:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs EMU10k2/CA0100/CA0102/CA10200 [Sound Blaster Audigy Series] (rev 04)
03:07.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy Game Port (rev 04)
03:07.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04)
03:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
03:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

i have been wondering if

02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (rev 1a)
and
03:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

are conflicting with each other and if they are can I delete or somehow stop the realtek  line from working without causing any problems
Gordon

VastOne

First run ceni and post post a screenshot or diagram of what is there, then unplug the ethernet cable post the screenshot of what you see?

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne

Both versions of Ceni appear the same

┌ Network Interfaces ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│                                                                              │
│   Choose a network interface to configure:                                   │
│                                                                              │
│ ┌ Hardware interfaces ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │
│ │- no values -                                                             │ │
│ │                                                                          │ │
│ │                                                                          │ │
│ └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘ │
│ ┌ Interface Actions ─────────────────────┐┌ Logical interfaces ────────────┐ │
│ │ Configure new logical interface ...    ││ enp2s15                        │ │
│ │ Configure all wpa-roam mappings ...    ││ wlp2s0                         │ │
│ │                                        ││                                │ │
│ │                                        ││                                │ │
│ └────────────────────────────────────────┘└────────────────────────────────┘ │
│                              ┌──────────┐                                    │
│                              │[  Exit  ]│                                    │
│                              └──────────┘                                    │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
Gordon