Window manager which one?

Lex-Linux

Never have tried to configure, or use a window manger before. Any hints or suggestions on which one to start with?

edit: presently looking at evilwm.

PackRat

Care to elaborate? Have you always used Linux without a window manager and now you're looking to start, or are you migrating from Windows / Mac and want to know which window manager(s) to try?

The default for Vsido is fluxbox, and it's excellent (I'm biased though) with all the basic features available - clock, system tray, iconbar - as is; or you can easily configure it to work with a different panel like tint2 (the Vsido default) or wbar etc ...

What's your workflow? You can have a look at the various window manager threads - not exactly HowTo's to get them configured, but you'll get a general idea of what they bring to the table.

As far as the minimal evilwm series of window managers, I prefer cwm - better key binding control, but only one desktop (evilwm has 9).
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Lex-Linux

I have always used kde or xfce.

Would like a good mix between point and click, and keys.

Simplistic, but can grow into it. (meaning easy to work with at first, but has a feature set that I can expand upon as I gain more experience.) 

well documented.

currently maintained.

does not look like window 95 or 98.

PackRat

Fluxbox, openbox, pekwm - all 3 fit that description.

any more minimal than that and you're looking at running additional apps like xbindkeys and 9menu to get key bindings or pull-down menus. Just to name a few.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

dizzie

Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

Lex-Linux

thanks for all the suggestions. I do like afterstep, except it being old and maintained. Would this be a good place to start?

PackRat

What do you like about AfterStep? The aesthetic of it?

Fvwm and Windowmaker are similar and have seen more recent development (Fvwm is still active).

I'm pretty sure AfterStep has to be configured manually - don't know how extensive the documentation is for that. Fvwm needs to be configured manually. Windowmaker has a gui configuration menu.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Lex-Linux

yes it was the aesthetic ,it looked to be a very nice desktop at one time. But the documentation is old and incomplete. Not sure if at this time manual configuration is something I am interested in. I will look at windowmaker and its gui setup.

Lex-Linux

Not as good as some of the others in this thread, but for a first attempt, I'm happy with it.

Was created with fvwm-crystal. Has a gui, (yep I cheated) so it was easy. Not especially happy with the icons, but liked the interface.

I did however find a How to on FVWM. I am going to give that a go this weekend.

Hopefully will have something soon.

Snap

Be careful. Window managers can be very addictive! LOL But you'll have loads of fun playing with them and finding your favorites. As usual my good can be your bad and viceversa.

My personal favorites: Fluxbox (stacker) and bspwm (tiler)

Lex-Linux

Hey all,

Been busy with life, have not had a lot of time. But in some spare moments, I managed to download and configure openbox. Still a work in progress but its getting close! conky and tint2 just to name a few.  With as much as I been on arch wiki I might as well just install it.

And a dark theme as well.