New Test ISO's

VastOne

I have created new ISO's to test the VirtualBox Guest Additions

If you have and use VirtualBox, please download either of the ISO's to help test them

They only used an additional 2 MiB on the ISO sizes and the benefits for me during the build is tremendous

Filip will should also be happy... :D
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Snap

Noticed one thing. It shouldn't be a problem installing on metal, but intalling into Virtualbox with this iso the framebuffer resolution is even smaller than usual. I think it's 800 something by 600 something now, It would be great having  at least the former size 1024x786 (??). The installer GUI and almost anything else is bigger than the framebuffer. Quite annoying.

PS, Well, resolution can be changed after login, but a slightly bigger framebuffer size would be welcome. BTW, changing the resolution on the fly in VirtuaBox used to bork tint2, but it seems the recent fix fixed this issue too. Great!

VastOne

@snap, thanks for this feedback... I am not seeing this issue on my systems, but that is not unusual that where dev happens, issues seem not to...  ???

How would I go about changing this so that it is larger in VirtualBox?  Checking google there is not much to go on, just wondering if you already know

Thanks

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Manually resizing the VirtualBox session (in LiveCD mode) works for me but I do have to restart fluxbox to get tint2 correct after that resizing

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I have found a way to do it... I can force a vga=318 on the grub line from within the build so on a livecd it will be 1024x768

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

vga=x is 'supposed' to be deprecated in grub2...

I won't tell anyone if you don't...  :o

I dev VSIDO

misko_2083

Quote from: VastOne on February 04, 2016, 04:35:26 PM
vga=x is 'supposed' to be deprecated in grub2...

I won't tell anyone if you don't...  :o
Your secret is safe VastOne :)
https://wiki.debian.org/GrubTransition

VastOne

^ That actually does not work.. vga=318 is a 'undefined video number' on a new build so those will not work ... even though putting in the number 318 is accepted manually

I do believe I can use

custom_kernel_args = net.ifnames=0 GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

going to test that now...

Works on after install not before... doah!

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Now looking further at that link you provided, vga=0x318 may be the correct parameter.. Will test that one now

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

The vga=0x318 is what was needed... building the second ISO now and I will have them up for testing later

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Files are done, tested and uploaded... see if that is any better @snap

I dev VSIDO

filip

Quote from: VastOne on February 04, 2016, 03:20:16 AM
I have created new ISO's to test the VirtualBox Guest Additions

If you have and use VirtualBox, please download either of the ISO's to help test them

They only used an additional 2 MiB on the ISO sizes and the benefits for me during the build is tremendous

Awesome! :)

QuoteFilip will should also be happy... :D

Don't mention it...  :D :D :D

Just to confirm, there are no more tint issues, and GA work like a charm ( VBox 5.14 )! :)

Snap

Quotevga=x is 'supposed' to be deprecated in grub2...

I won't tell anyone if you don't...

:D :D :D I'll try to keep my lips sealed.

I might be wrong, but I think that the line that it's changed in Grub is GRUB_GFXMODE. The same happens installing Nvidia drivers. The framebuffer goes ridiculously small compared with the (more resonable) nouveau defaults. As you said, the vga method is deprecated, but will do the trick... at least for a while.

Downloading the new iso. Will report back.

Snap

Wonderful. It now goes 1280x1050. That resolution is great for my 24" screen, Which is what I typically use for my virtual machines with the GAs on. (1280x1024 framebuffer size when GAs are not installed). But wondering if it's ok for smaller screens. Is this set automagically at boot? I can see xrandr now outputs a nice list of available resolutions instead of just a single small default one (as without the GAs). Cannot test in a smaller screen. Currently I only have one. Not dual head anymore. I gave away all my other monitors.

Going to install now.