rsync - usage, syntax

PackRat

greetings -

was looking into using rsync (grsync) to do some backups and have a question about command line syntax -

Can rsync handle multiple source files on the command line? for example -

rsync file1 file2  /media/usbdrive

if that is doable, what is the proper syntax to list the source files? I didn't see anything in the man page or some online sources (like the Arch Wiki) that specifically call that out. Also, i can't select multiple files, directories with grsync; which leads me to believe it's not possible. But I may just be going about it wrong.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

I think here answers the rsync question and here answers the grsync question

I will confess I am not well and may have misinterpreted your question (nasty nasty nasty flu bug)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Flu... just be patient. As we say around here, Flu takes seven days with medicines or a week without them. You can only alleviate the symthoms with drugs. They don't cure anything, but you feel a bit better and sleepy taking some.

Back OT, thanks for the links. I need to study them. Would like to give a try grsync too. Maybe I replace LuckyBackup in other systems.

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on December 14, 2014, 04:25:57 AM
I think here answers the rsync question and here answers the grsync question

I will confess I am not well and may have misinterpreted your question (nasty nasty nasty flu bug)

thanks, something like that is what I'm looking to do.

edit - also found the option so that rsync will follow symbolic links which will be helpful as well.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

grsync is an awesome tool, it really just puts a gui face on rsync

For ultimate backup and the purest form of disaster recovery, there is nothing that comes close to what fsarchiver does

I spent a career in disaster recovery services and dreamed of having a tool as effective as fsarchiver...

Tis why both grsync and fsarchiver are a part of VSIDO

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Thanks, Will explore them both. I'm not specially happy with the tools I've been using so far.

PackRat

@vastone - just out of curiosity, have you used rsync to create a backup and then pipe the result to fsarchiver.

Way back with RedHat 7, I had a script that would pipe the results of tar to cdrecord to make backup cd's. Actually pretty handy.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I have never done that Rat Man, but it should be fairly easy.. or not?

Every search I have looked for using rsync + script + fsarchiver is usually "Before fsarchiver I used rsync"

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

As in they switched from rsync to fsarchiver?

No big deal; this is all a learning exercise so I'll mess with both.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Yes...

rsync to me is more of a directory / directory file / file tool (among other things) and can be a great backup tool as well

fsarchiver is the ultimate disaster recovery tool

I dev VSIDO