a second strange update issue

superwow

Not to steal the V-ger's thunder, but I think I have another puzzler.

Today's update (sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) brings a new linux-image to my machine, which I was excited to see. And on accepting the update, my friend apt-listbugs tells me there is a serious bug of gcc. A tad wee bit of digging shows a dependency chain between gcc and the linux image. And, I thought they figured critical stuff like this out before releasing a new linux image? Is that right?

Relevant codez follow for your discussion or my embarrassment:

The following NEW packages will be installed:                                                                         
  gcc-4.9 irqbalance libasan1 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libcilkrts5 libgcc-4.9-dev liblsan0 libubsan0                   
  linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86 linux-headers-4.0.0-1-amd64 linux-headers-4.0.0-1-common linux-image-4.0.0-1-amd64       
  linux-kbuild-4.0 linux-libc-dev manpages-dev                                                                         
The following packages have been kept back:                                                                           
  libgnutls-deb0-28 libgnutls-openssl27 openssl rkhunter                                                               
The following packages will be upgraded:                                                                               
  dbus dbus-x11 firmware-iwlwifi firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree geoip-database libdbus-1-3 libegl1-mesa libgbm1
  libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data libnet-ssleay-perl libsqlite3-0           
  libwayland-egl1-mesa libx11-protocol-perl libxatracker2 linux-headers-amd64 linux-image-amd64 rsyslog spacefm       
  spacefm-common                                                                                                       
24 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.                                                       
Need to get 0 B/71.6 MB of archives.                                                                                   
After this operation, 247 MB of additional disk space will be used.                                                   
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y                                                                                       
Retrieving bug reports... Done                                                                                         
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done                                                                               
serious bugs of gcc-4.9 (→ 4.9.2-16) <Outstanding>                                                                     
b1 - #785066 - -m32 no longer supported on ppc64el; cannot build a kernel                                             
Summary:                                                                                                               
gcc-4.9(1 bug)                                                                                                       
Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...] n                                             
**********************************************************************                                                 
****** Exiting with an error in order to stop the installation. ******                                                 
**********************************************************************                                                 
E: Sub-process /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt returned an error code (10)                                                 
E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt                                                                   
100 superwow@grmldeb ~ % apt-cache depends linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86                                          :(  v32%
linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86                                                                                             
  Depends: gcc-4.9                                                                                                     
superwow@grmldeb ~ % apt-cache rdepends linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86                                                 v32%
linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86                                                                         
Reverse Depends:                                                                                     
  linux-headers-4.0.0-1-amd64 

Is this a gordian knot? Or just business as usual for a major Sid upgrade?

jedi

W O W!  Does this mean the kbuild for the 4.0 Kernel is finally hitting?  From the looks of things, the bug mentions the ppc (Mac platform) and shouldn't affect you unless you are indeed running the ppc platform architecture.  To me it simply looks as if it is finally updating the Kernel to the latest 'sid' levels.  This is good news if you ask me.  Several of us have built/compiled 4.0.* + with great results.  Just make sure you have a solid backup, and I'd go ahead and go for it.  But hey I like cliff diving also, so take it all with a grain of salt.  I'd hate you to smoke your machine cause of something I told you to do...
The beauty is with the last available ISO's that you can still download you should be able to have a system back up and running in no time whatsoever!  Keep us informed please!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous