(SOLVED) Xorg crash and burn in VirtualBox

ozitraveller

I'm using virtualbox from oracle
VBoxManage -v
4.3.26r98988

I use VB on a sid host and my build environment is debian jessie guest

VastOne

^ Thanks for that Ozi... I am also using the same oracle V-Box version

I think I have all I need to send in a bug report on this, it definitely is failing in this environment of mine.. all SID
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

@vastone - no worries. Lightdm definitely won't start though with vesa errors, I've been down in the logs looking for lightdm error myself very recently. But from you log xorg doesn't look happy either.

jedi

no v-box for me with the new ISO's.  Boots to a black screen with a white cursor top left.  Hangs there...
I am able to get to tty1-6 and login to the cli using 'vsido' for un and 'live' for pw...

trying to manually start x or lightdm results in the black screen with a white cursor top left.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

Quote from: jedi on May 13, 2015, 07:06:58 PM
Quote from: VastOne on May 13, 2015, 05:10:41 PM
Another solution I have is to shitcan the V-Box build environment and install the fsa's of March backups on metal and go forward from there
Ultimately I will get new ISO's with the 4.0 kernel out

fsa's = FSARCHIVER! = solution!  Bet you get it solved in less than 24 hours!!!  I trust everything to fsa's.  Your suggestion to use fsarchiver a few years back has always stuck with me!  (and never failed once!)

It was less than 24, good call jedi!

I had a hiccup with the x32 where sysvinit-core was the issue... for whatever reasons, the live-config and live-boot and user-setup NEED sysvinit-core to work correctly

It would appear to me that the live folks at debian are not fans of systemd .. if that is true, that would suck to have that kind of division

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

lsmod shows no nouveau loaded...

modprobe nouveau adds them but on reboot, they are not sticking...

I will keep you posted on this as I solve it

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

This is so called solved by the need to install Guest Additions per partition... Over 3 years of using V-Box and VSIDO builds, I never ever had to do that in the past

More details on the bug report

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

This resolved itself ultimately with updates from the SID channel... I do not know precisely what package caused this and/or what fixed it, and that frustrates the hell out of me

Things are back as original, no need for Guest Additions and everything is building as they should

For anyone who needs to remove Guest Additions on a VSIDO installation do this:

To uninstall the Guest Additions do this

cd /opt/<VirtualBoxAdditions-x.x.xx>/
sudo ./uninstall.sh

I dev VSIDO

Snap

QuoteThings are back as original, no need for Guest Additions and everything is building as they should

Hmmm... How to revert back to a non guest-additions iso CD state? One thing it's happening to me lately when installing GA from the iso image, not only in Vsido VMs, is that I need to boot twice in a row, or at least re-login in for everything to dispay properly. Otherwise resolution seems to be borked somehow. Everything gets huge.

VastOne

Ahh... I have gotten lazy... I usually post all of the changes so that anyone can move to the same levels

To uninstall the Guest Additions do this

cd /opt/<VirtualBoxAdditions-x.x.xx>/
sudo ./uninstall.sh

My apologies Snap and thanks for the reminder

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Great. Thanks.

Nice task for a warm day evening (102 ºF around here...)

PS; i didn't remembered it has an uninstaller...  ::)