cwm error

superwow

Anyone use cwm?

I have been playing around with it. I have been giving it a go. It is very simple to configure with a flux-like config FILE (single, not multiple). It is very flexible and uses less resources than flux or openbox. Not sure if I'll stay with it, but, I do indeed like it.

But I often see an error in my CLI when using it.

superwow@grmldeb ~ % [ 49804.54 ] error 3 (BadWindow) request 20 minor 0 serial 1640246 ("BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)")
[ 49804.54 ] error 3 (BadWindow) request 20 minor 0 serial 1640247 ("BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)")
[ 49804.54 ] error 3 (BadWindow) request 20 minor 0 serial 1640248 ("BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)")
[ 49804.54 ] error 3 (BadWindow) request 20 minor 0 serial 1640249 ("BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)")
[ 49986.99 ] error 140 (BadRegion) request138 minor 15 serial 1692351 ("BadRegion (invalid Region parameter)")

It doesn't seem to be related to operation of cwm, as the wm seems to be working without issue. I have searched through other user groups, and searched the web (though cwm generally returns pages of android support), to no avail.

Anyone know what it means?

PackRat

I did a search on the error messages; they are not specific to cwm. KDE, Gnome (2.x based on the dates of the threads), and other window managers produce these errors - which appear to be trivial.

They have been attributed to minor bugs in the window manager, issues with gtk or video card incompatibilities, or bugs in compton - if you're using compton, try to log in without it and see if you get the error.

No solutions were offered, other than filing a bug report in the case of compton, KDE, or Gnome.

You can look in the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if some additional information is given for your error.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

@superwow- how did you install cwm? I installed it from the repos and from git, but I don't reproduce your error message with cwm - with or without compton and tint2.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

superwow

Packrat, thanks for the info you found on your search. So, a bit of confession here, I have been playing around with alternative search engines, and my current one is Unbubble. Not bad, better than many but just not quite as good as Duckduckgo, Google, Bing, etc. So, perhaps that's why I didn't come across the errors you found.

I installed everything via apt from Debian SID repos. No git, just apt. I have probably had cwm and compton since December or February, 5-6 months. When I disable compton, the reported terminal warnings about wm errors go away. I don't run tint2 so not sure how cwm etc would behave with it.

apt-cache policy compton                                                                                                              :(  v79%
compton:
  Installed: 0.1~beta2-1
  Candidate: 0.1~beta2-1
  Version table:
*** 0.1~beta2-1 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

apt-cache policy cwm                                                                                                                    :(  v79%
cwm:
  Installed: 5.6-4
  Candidate: 5.6-4
  Version table:
*** 5.6-4 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

PackRat

Appears to be an issue with compton then. That was brought up in some of the threads I read. No solutions for it though.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo