Off Topic Forum

KrunchTime

You really don't have a forum for off topic discussions.  The "I've got a life," is close, but based on the description, discussion is for non-computer topics.
Linux User #586672
"When you say, 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows,' people just stare at you blankly and say, 'Hey, I got those with the system, for free.' -- Linus Torvalds

VastOne

Correct. and I have no intention of starting an off topic area. The idea of this form is to keep it as technical and as loose as possible without opening up cans of worms I don't want to deal with. Thank you
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

KrunchTime

Okay, I can understand that, but there are technical topics that don't fit any of the current forums.  Where can users go to discuss distro hopping, favorite or newly discovered apps, etc.?  Or do you not want those types of discussion either?
Linux User #586672
"When you say, 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows,' people just stare at you blankly and say, 'Hey, I got those with the system, for free.' -- Linus Torvalds

jedi

There is the VSIDO Discussion thread, and the I've Got A Life thread, as well as a media thread, screenshot thread, General Support thread, etc. etc. etc...

There is a HUGE distro hopping thread at the 'buntu place, and I'd like to think once you get to VSIDO, your finally distro-stopping!   :D

Favorite or newly discovered apps would easily be discussed in Feedback and Suggestions...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

KrunchTime

Quote from: jedi on April 18, 2015, 03:36:12 AM
There is the VSIDO Discussion thread, and the I've Got A Life thread, as well as a media thread, screenshot thread, General Support thread, etc. etc. etc...

There is a HUGE distro hopping thread at the 'buntu place, and I'd like to think once you get to VSIDO, your finally distro-stopping!   :D

Favorite or newly discovered apps would easily be discussed in Feedback and Suggestions...
Yes, those are all different forums, but technically not a place to discuss topics like I gave for examples.  VSIDO Discussion is for things about VSIDO.  I guess you could talk about newly discovered/favorite apps there.  "'buntu place"?  The Feedback and Suggestions forum is for feedback and suggestions about VSIDO.  One (or I anyway) would only post there if one wanted to recommend an app for inclusion in VSIDO.  I'm a black and white type person and sometimes have trouble adapting to situations where I have to operate in a grey area.  ;D
Linux User #586672

jedi

hmmm, I never noticed the "Feedback and Suggestions" specifically mandating VSIDO.   8)  We're pretty loose here!   ???

I suppose the plain truth is, we've all been around multiple forums, indeed even involved in multiple forums, where inevitably an official "Off Topic" thread was just a "beginning of an end".  We are a self sustaining community here, where nothing is considered 'off topic', really.  A small staff of volunteers who mod for the VSIDO forums, as well as testers, and then the integral larger community of VSIDO users as a whole.  It means the mods of the site never need be involved in a dispute between users who want to talk about 'God' versus 'Machine' versus 'FSM' (check out FSM on Google, it is a real honest to goodness religion!) and end up in flame wars about who was right about the cosmos and Sagittarius on the cusp of the 5th house with Pisces in the 8th house intervening in Mar's relative state of astral being when aligned with Venus and Mercury!

As to the 'black and white', it seems the older we get, the more 'colorful' those two colors become!  As Van Morrison, the great and wise intellect that he is said, "There is no black-and-white situation. It's all part of life. Highs, lows, middles."  (he probably added "man" at the end of that epic statement!)  Or the great one, Ridley Scott stated "Life isn't black and white. It's a million gray areas, don't you find?"...

???  This is why the VSIDO forums are so unique and wonderful!  It's amazing what a thread can become...   ???
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

We are loose, Jedi has done all of the Dallas ladies at least twice...  :P

... and the forum is gray  8)

Ozitraveler imparts great bursts of wisdom during his flyovers...

I see no chains here... and we have no need for control, but there are limits. I know my own tolerance levels ... they are based on what Jedi described as our experiences as to what has worked and failed at other places
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

@KrunchTime - welcome to VSIDO land.

The Feedback and Suggestions thread is the way to go - note the comment in the title:

Quote"Feel free to post anything to help make VSIDO better"

Think of it this way: if you found an app you like, you can suggest we check it out; if you've been using it for a while, give us some feedback on why you like it. Suggestions to include it in the next build are allowed and Dr. V takes them all seriously.

Or you can post a screen shot of the app being used with a "check out this app" comment.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

Quoteflame wars about who was right about the cosmos and Sagittarius on the cusp of the 5th house with Pisces in the 8th house intervening in Mar's relative state of astral being when aligned with Venus and Mercury!

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

W O W!  Are they part of the original Star Trek crew or what?  They're even standing on the 'transporter' for their performance.  And they definitely have some early Captain Kirk funk going on.  Great song and post PackRat!  :D
Forum Netiquette