VSIDO vs Siduction

KrunchTime

What prompted me to register for the forums was a post in the Introductions forum by a former user of Siduction stating that he was having issues with the distro.  The post immediately generated a question in my mind:  why choose VSIDO over Siduction?  Is VSIDO still mainly developed by VastOne?  I like the fact that Siduction has a version with just X and no application packages so that I can build it the way I prefer.
Linux User #586672
"When you say, 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows,' people just stare at you blankly and say, 'Hey, I got those with the system, for free.' -- Linus Torvalds

VastOne

Hello KrunchTime and welcome to the forums...

I am the sole dev for VSIDO with NO plans to discontinue it or my desired goals for VSIDO until I breathe my last breath

The obvious answer is in what you want from each distro.  VSIDO is what it is, simple and a bit elegant with what we consider the finest WM in FluxBox and the right blend of apps with a developer who is open, altruistic and considers everything suggested as a real goal until it is proven not feasible

We decide things as a group here, rarely do I override any decisions or requests

My suggestion is to try both.  VSIDO is already setup with pretty straight forward .dmrc and .xsession files that you are welcome to do with what you want

PackRat is also very savvy at getting down to the nuts and bolts of any WM and X sessions.  By all means let me know what you would like to see

Probably more than you asked for ... enjoy!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

KrunchTime

Thank you for your reply, VastOne.  I am a bit leary of one-person distros after what happened to #!.  I was also looking more for pros and cons of using either distro.  I already have my own opinions, but it's always good to get feedback from others.

I have used both distros, but used Siduction for a good deal longer than VSIDO.  I'm not a big fan of fluxbox, but it's fairly easy to remove.  When I first used VSIDO, I didn't know how easy it was to remove fluxbox, so I quickly decided not to use the distro.
Linux User #586672
"When you say, 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows,' people just stare at you blankly and say, 'Hey, I got those with the system, for free.' -- Linus Torvalds

VastOne

We make it as easy as possible to apt-get remove and install anything...

I also want to say that I have left the 'keys' to the build of this DISTRO in several hands in the event of my demise...

Anyone is welcome to these also

I dev VSIDO

KrunchTime

Whoops...could have answered one of my questions if I had noticed your signature.  :-[
Linux User #586672

VastOne

No. I liked  it so much I made it my signature.   :D

I dev VSIDO

KrunchTime

Linux User #586672

Snap

This is highly subjective but I think it puts it in short... at least for me. I use to install Siduction every now and then for different reasons and it always goes away rather soon from my HDs. I installed Vsido once and still going strong. A matter of taste I guess, but...

PackRat

Like snap says it's always suggestive when comparing distros. VSIDO and siduction are both solid builds of Debian Sid. Best thing to do is use the live CD's for a while and decide which one works best for you. You're only an apt command away from making your own tweaks.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

QuotePackRat is also very savvy at getting down to the nuts and bolts of any WM and X sessions.

You're too kind. Does remind though, that I have to put thought to paper, so to speak, and post my Sort-of-kind-of-howto for spectrwm.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

airtime

VSIDO is the longest running distro I have tried .  The guys backing it are great and supportive. That is what is really comes down to. I dont mind the one man Dev team . As Vastone stated , you can tweak the system as you see fit. 

KrunchTime

I used a Debian NetInstall, changed the repos to unstable, and installed packages similar to that in CrunchBang.  I'm quite happy with the results.  I diffed the Siduction manifest with a package list of my finished product and I'm not seeing any reason to use Siduction over what I've accomplished with the Debian NetInstall.
Linux User #586672