Nvidia driver problem

zbreaker

Ok..installed the latest 32-bit build...same results as OP when trying to install Nvidia drivers via smxi/sgfxi. As an experiment, installed latest Debian 8 to same disk/partitions as used for the VSIDO installs, and smxi installed the driver flawlessly. Thinking a sid issue? Will try manual install in a day or two.

jedi

This may also be an issue between the 4.0 Kernel and smxi?  When I first compiled 4.0 in VSIDO I had some issues that were of my own making and which I did get resolved.  All on 64bit though, and a GTX 660M 2Gb Nvidia card.  I know at one point I did have to manually install the Nvidia driver as smxi just would not do it.  (nor sgfxi)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

dizzie

If your card is old/semi-old, you can only use legacy drivers (304xx). In smxi it's called "Antique"  :o
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

jedi

Quote from: dizzie on May 19, 2015, 10:53:36 AM
If your card is old/semi-old, you can only use legacy drivers (304xx). In smxi it's called "Antique"  :o
Neither one of those cards is considered old.  I'm currently using 349.16, and zbreaker should be able to as well.  The only difference between zbreaker and I, is the architecture.  (32bit vs 64bit)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

dizzie

349.16 gives me a black screen (750ti GTX) 340.76 works  8)
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

jedi

Just ran smxi, used it to dist-upgrade, install the newest Kernel (to replace the 4.0 that I had compiled), continued to the graphics and tried to install the latest beta driver.  Was told the latest driver was 352.xx and there was no beta driver for my card available at the moment.  Told it to go ahead and was informed I have an xorg version that is to old.  (1.17.1? maybe?)  Anyway, reran it and chose current nvidia driver and it reinstalled the 349.16 driver just fine.
I will try to get some answers from 'h2' in the #smxi IRC channel later today.  Right now need sleep! :)
I did verify that I can still use Steam and play my favorite game, The Talos Principle.
Check back in a few hours, I'll see what I can do...
Forum Netiquette