Nvidia driver problem

zbreaker

Ok..decided to re-install with the latest jedi release. Install went fine (tho I still prefer the old installer).
When invoking smxi to install  the Nvidia driver I am presented with a "fail" (on many occasions) of:

ERROR (196) The driver package.....failed to extract and has been deleted.

Anyone else experience this , and would it be a Debian or smxi problem?

Many thanks folks  8) 

PackRat

I've never had this particular error. Sounds like an issue with the nvidia driver itself, or the ftp site smxi uses to download the driver - the package appears to be corrupted on download.

Are you running the driver install from the option in the smxi menu? If so, try using the graphics driver install only command - log in as root and:

# sgfxi

if you have never done it.

You can try:

sgfxi -h

to list all the options to see if there is an option to just download the driver; see if you can get that far. Also, if you know what driver you need and can download it from nvidia, there may be an option on that list to have sgfxi install that driver.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

zbreaker

Thanks PackRat.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing myself. I've done this countless times previously using smxi with out a hitch.
I'll play around with it a bit more over the weekend and let you know my findings.

jedi

hey zbreaker, one more thing to try, would be to run it as root of course as PackRat suggested and also use the -U option to be sure you have the latest version of smxi.
smxi -U
I have had to reboot multiple times and install the driver multiple times in order to get it to work.  That hasn't happened in a long time though.  Keep us informed, and I'll go right now and give it a try myself.  Definitely sounds as if your getting a corrupted download somehow...

edit:  Just exited to tty1 and ran smxi as root and successfully updated to the new beta driver 349.12.  Worked the first time.  Hopefully your just seeing a corrupted download and re-running it will solve it.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

I have seen similar issues as this in the past...  Seems like time was th element and after a while it settled

I have also headed over to smxi irc (on oftc) and talked directly to h2

He has always been helpful ...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

General weirdness. I think it is indeed download problems in part. When invoking (as root) sgfxi it complains of wget errors in trying to update the script.
After a general fail, as in first post, using graphics option in smxi, /var/log/sgfi shows me that the script complains about not having a .run file to process. Been having some other minor things in general with the new install. I'm actually thinking that my .iso file might have been a bit corrupted. Going to re-download and install fresh after verifying
checksum and start he process again. Will keep you all posted. Oh, and a Happy Easter & Passover to those who celebrate them  8)

zbreaker

Ok..think I've found the answer.

Tried installing the last 3 32bit builds of VSIDO & then install Nvidia driver via smxi with fail as per original post.
Just installed latest 64bit VSIDO & smxi installs Nvidia driver without issue. Perhaps an issue with the 32bit iso?
Guessing here as my original hardware (System 76) is the same since I converted to VSIDO a while ago.

VastOne

I know of nothing different between the two architects... I would head over to the #smxi channel on the OFTC network and ask h2 if there are known issues with the 32 bit package and installer.  I cannot place anything on VSIDO as being the issue...

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Just a blind shoot. I keep wondering if it has to do with the specific hardware. I've never been able to install the drivers via smxi (whatever the distro) in my particular machine having an ancient Quadro FX1500 GPU. They install if done manually, but never with smxi. No issues with any other machines I've tried. For some reason my GPU doesn't like smxi. I wonder if this happens to be the same kind of problem.

VastOne

^ I have heard that same story several times from users everywhere I have been... as great as smxi is, it is not the fix-all for everyone

@zbreaker

Ever try to manually install the drivers on the x32?

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

What modle is your video card zbreaker?

I took a quick look at the smxi site to see if they had dropped support for 32 bit and didn't find anything.

If your card is old, nvidia may have stooped development of the driver so it will not install with the newer kernels. You may be able to force the driver install with:

sgfxi -f

that will cause smxi to install a kernel patch for your driver.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

zbreaker

Quote from: PackRat on April 22, 2015, 10:39:03 AM
What modle is your video card zbreaker?

I took a quick look at the smxi site to see if they had dropped support for 32 bit and didn't find anything.

If your card is old, nvidia may have stooped development of the driver so it will not install with the newer kernels. You may be able to force the driver install with:

sgfxi -f

that will cause smxi to install a kernel patch for your driver.

1 GB nVidia GeForce GTX650 with 384 CUDA cores

PackRat

Still supported - latest release April 7.

Looks like you're in the same boat as snap and need a manual install.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

zbreaker

Will give it a shot.....or perhaps just stay 64 bit.

Anyone ever try multilib with VSIDO?

jedi

aye, I have multilib installed now so Steam will run.  I know it has nothing to do with Nvidia.  You should have no problems with that GTX650 though, as it is still a supported card...

edit; Guess PackRat already stated that!  :-X
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous