Brother Printer mfc-j6520dw

Gordon

Hi Folks

Bought myself the above printer after I had found and download the drivers for the printer. The problem is that it is supposed to be WIFI only I can't get it to work.
The printer itself has found and logged onto my router with no trouble but I can't get it to print so I assume that I am missing a driver for the computer or do I have to do something else. I have been on the brother site to check for a wifi driver but there doesn't appear to be one. I have tried several other sites for info but with no luck so far. Any assistance out there please as I surely need it  :'(
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

VastOne

Do you have all of the CUPS apps installed? If not run the vsido-welcome script to install them
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

QuoteThe printer itself has found and logged onto my router with no trouble

How did you connect the printer to the wireless? If you used WPS or AOSS one touch setup, your computer would have had to been connected the same way in order to see the printer. You may need to set up the printer manually if you have not done so already.

QuoteI have been on the brother site to check for a wifi driver but there doesn't appear to be one

I think if you get cups installed as vastone suggests, you can use the cups printer driver. Looks straight forward.

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi VastOne and PackRat.

@ VastOne.  As far as I am aware all cups is loaded but having said that I went onto synaptic package manager and ticked a load of other cups stuff including system-config-printer and it failed to download anything, something to do with broken packages.

@ PackRat. I connected to my router using the on board wizard on the printer which connects every time with no trouble. its getting the computer to use my router that is the ( or seems to be ) the problem. Even localhost:631 doesn't work.

Anyway thanks to both for your valued time and assistance. been at it for about 3 hours now and still trying  :D
Gordon

PackRat

Is your computer using the same router to connect to the internet, or are you setting up some sort of print server?

Also looks like cups may be broken and the service may not be starting. You can try -

systemctl list-unit-files | grep cups

or

systemctl --all | grep cups

in a terminal to see the status of the cups.service.

There is also

systemctl --state=failed

which will show if cups failed to start, I think.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat,

Thanks for that.

Your first command came up

cups.path                               enabled
cups-browsed.service              enabled
cups.service                           enabled
cups.socket                           enabled

the other two came up with

Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1

How do I start D-Bus please ?
Gordon

PackRat

That's systemd not communicating with dbus - dbus should be running; not sure how to clear that error for your system. Looks like cups is enabled not sure why the interface isn't coming up in your browser.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat

Just noticed that I never answered the first part of you post

Is your computer using the same router to connect to the internet, or are you setting up some sort of print server?

the answer to which is that I use the same router for everything.

I have just remembered that a have a USB Adaptor which doesn't work either although I think it is supported. It is a Netgear WG111v2 which uses a realtek driver RTL8187L so I am trying to sort that as well  :)
Gordon

jedi

Hey Gordon,
Try the following;
sudo adduser "yourusernameherenoquotes" lpadmin

Then restart your browser, clear the cache (web history) and try to login to 'cups' again.  From there you should be able to load the cups driver as PackRat suggested!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Gordon

Hi jedi

thanks for that. I am already a member lpadmin but I  keep trying
Gordon

PackRat

QuoteEven localhost:631 doesn't work.

Can you elaborate on this. Do you go to the cups interface and just can't do anything, or does your browser not even display the localhost:631?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat

I mean that localhost:631 wouldn't sort out the problem, it will only let me print via cable not wireless. Can't even get it to work on windows 8 either for that matter and it is supposed to be a windows printer. Something to do with the realtek RTL8187L driver. I have it downloaded for Linux but have to learn about make makefile and other stuff now :(
Gordon

PackRat

There should be a README file that goes through the install steps.

Check that firmware-realtek is installed on your computer. It's installed by default, but may have removed somehow. Your driver may be in there.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat.

found the firmware-realtek file thing it is in usr/share/bug, I assume from that that it is in the wrong place, where should it be ? and can I just move it ?

cheers
Gordon

PackRat

It should be installed. Use synaptic to make sure it is installed. You should be able to search/filter for broken packages as well. You got a broken package message earlier, right?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo