Maaliskuu 2015 Screenshots

jedi

Latest ISO installed!  Everything back to normal...

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Digit

this month, i have mostly been making a new font.
(not really.  time split between many things... i just wanted to parody that old fastshow sketch a bit)
those who know me well, will know i can be a bit daft on the smallness of fonts... no really... i mean... 6pt is not small enough for me.  so be warned. XD
this is my first attempt at a non-bitmap font, and it was mostly made a bit slap-dash, minimally n over-simplistically, just to get it to fit tight pixel sizes.  maaaany refinements are yet to come.  http://ks392457.kimsufi.com/stuff/2015-03-13-210128_1398x260_scrot.png  ... the horror.  ^_^  right?
at least now i have splines to build from.  :)

jedi

Latest 17Mar2015 ISO.  Top notch quality distro as always!  From blank SSD to fully restored and all my stuff just how i like it in less than half an hour.  From a BLANK SSD drive!  This distro is as zephyr pointed out in another thread, just absolutely amazing!  Thanks for everything VastOne...
What my desktop usually looks like...  (well virtual desktop 1 anyway!)  :)

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jedi

Ok, so, VSIDO with a lot of awesome!  Been playing around with the awesome WM and so far am liking it a lot.  I've always liked the idea of tiling, having everything I want open and arranged on the desktop, then just being able to flip to a particular screen for work-flow.  Getting used to configuring everything in LUA is a bit of a challenge at first, but so far so good!  Loving the 'tags' idea, instead of 'virtual desktops'.

Still a "work in progress"...   ;)

Forum Netiquette

PackRat

^ Nice. which version you using the 3.4.15 from the repos, or did you compile the current 3.5.6 from their site/git?

Is that tint2 along the bottom, or some new awesome widget? Never mind, I see now they are graphs and widgets not taskbar stuff.

some i3 -

Direct Link
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

hey PackRat!!
downloaded the tarball and built it from source.  3.5.6.  Pretty impressed, I gotta say...
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

^ Wow awesome stuff there Jedi!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: jedi on March 22, 2015, 01:08:27 AM
hey PackRat!!
downloaded the tarball and built it from source.  3.5.6.  Pretty impressed, I gotta say...

You motivated me to give awesome another spin; I tried it a few months ago, but got rid of it really quick.

awesome 3.5.6 from source -

Direct Link

as with anything lua, a work in progress.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Got tired of messing with the lua in awesome - as usual - so decided to check out a tiling window manager I've never used.

qtile -

tiling window manager written in python.

Default install, not configured yet.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Nice.. I wish I had that passion again that you and Jedi have in searching out and finding cool shit...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

It was a bit of a pain to get compiled - not in the repos - but I'm liking qtile so far. Has a bunch of handy widgets pre-compiled (systray, taaskbar, and system info stuff). Once I figure out how to make it change tiling layouts, I'll start using it and post a new screenshot.

Edit - pretty much there:

Direct link
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Just took me a little longer to come to the same realization as PackRat.  The awesome WM is a pain.  LUA for days.  I didn't think it was all that stable either.  Take into consideration that I compiled it from source.  LUA everywhere.  I think my brain is bleeding...   ??? ::) ???
Anyway, back to my old friend Fluxbox.  It never fails me and is totally reliable!

Indeed I did get those separators at the top left working in my Tint2 configs.  A fairly elementary hack, but hey it does kind of group the icons together...  ;D
Forum Netiquette

PackRat

^ nice - so will there be a HowTo for those separators in the tint2 thread, or do you have a link?

A rolling issue with awesome wm has been that the syntax required for the rc.lua file (main config file for those who have never used awesome) changes with new releases of the window manager so you can't just read any tutorial for it, or try and use an older configuration file.. And like any tiler, the more you can script in the native language, the more you'll get out out of it. Even so, IMO, tabbed windows are so much more efficient that i3, fluxbox, and pekwm are the way to go as far as maximizing screen real estate via tiling is concerned.

back on topic -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Well, they are really the result of an optical delusion.   :'(  I used Gimp to create a .png file called separator.png.  I then created a 'blank' .desktop file of the same name to place between the icons I wanted grouped.  It works...   Anyway, it's not like the Tint2 devs seem too excited about coming up with something...

and as PackRat loves to say:  "back on topic"

(artists rendering of a brains neuron being turned 'on' with a beam of light...)
Forum Netiquette

jedi

IMO, (that means "in my opinion", not "After a 5 year study, Consumer Reports has come to the conclusion")  ;D tabbed window management blows tiling away.  Having ran them both pretty hard (though I didn't put them away wet) I can say with some certainty on my part that 'Tabbed' is the way to go.  Over 2 years of steady Fluxbox use, and I just can't escape it!  I don't want to escape it!  Tiling was to me, a pain.  All the key-bind memorization, config files, (text or lua) it just isn't worth the effort.  Perhaps if I had started my Linux experience with a Tiling WM I'd feel differently.  I didn't!  And you can achieve just about any kind of 'look' your going for with Fluxbox.  It's 'Tabbed' WM features are incredible!  I lub Fluxbox!

Everything on one screen, using "Mod4 + Tab" to navigate between the open applications 'grouped' into one window, is just way convenient!
Forum Netiquette