Crunchbang

zephyr

Appreciate greatly the history lesson, and really couldn't agree more about one distro and concentrating solely on that effort. Crunchbang had the luxury of a lot of great talent feeding its forum, thus developed into a dependable and unique distro. There was a lot of breakage with the distro at times, and visited often to the forum for a fix, which I got, and usually in bit and pieces which eventually fixed my problem. VSIDO,  no complaints, and appreciate the fact that the developer (VastOne) and Jedi often ask for opinions and solutions. It is no doubt a community driven distro. Frankly, this is the best distro going, and although I do appreciate Siduction, Aptosid, and a few others, I'm at home with VSIDO. VSIDO I might add, has a mystique about it as well, I have no idea who concieved the appearance, theme or concept of it design, but it is down my alley.  I do want to point out that if anyone was to create a serious, mature, and sensible openbox, the compliment was to you folks. I can create my own openbox on Debian Testing and be happy with it. Fluxbox is a step or two above openbox, and that is my sentiment, no one does Linux like VSIDO. -zephyr
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

Snap

QuoteThe Fluxbox website even lists VSIDO as one of the few Linux distro's that use Fluxbox as the default Window Manager.

It's a shame. OpenBox won the match. Much love for OB out there and many distros have it onboard while FB is typically ignored. In a "perfect world" them both should be equally popular.

Looking for a good distro having FB as default is what brought me to Vsido in the first place. vrkalak and ElderLaCoste are guilty for this... Thankfully. I discovered two great things by stepping into here almost by chance; What great system Vsido is and how great FluxBox is. I cannot be more pleased. I still have a lot of love for OB, but for me, FB won the match.  :P

Big Thanks to VastOne, vrkalak and Elder!

VastOne

Snap, jedi, zephyr, Digit and all that use and praise VSIDO, you humble me with this kindness...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

zephyr

I'm quite sure all users appreciate the hard work and effort that is put into this great distro. I have not a clue to what extent how much time is expended keeping this fine tuned machine going, a new distro every two weeks or sooner if a major development is in place, must consume a lot of time. It is that dedication to VSIDO and the user experience, we are all surely impressed with. Thank you. -zephyr
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

PackRat

Looks like the #! community will have some competition.

I wonder if it's a #! user from the forum putting this one together.

QuoteIt is that dedication to VSIDO and the user experience, we are all surely impressed with.

+1 to this comment.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

It is a script to Debian netinst and then attempt to add what is needed with more scripts...

If you are gonna go to those links, why not just build your own?  I think it was John Raff over on #! who perfected all of the Debian netinst #! scripts, is this just a retread with a web site?

Strange to see such a powerful distro go down that path

I dev VSIDO

Snap

No idea who is behind that and what's he after. Sounds weird to me.

BTW, I just followed the johnraff's cheat sheet somewhat. Got a nice waldorf-like system on Jessie on virtual machine.

VastOne

It has gotten a bit chaotic over there and I have no plans of ever returning...

Sad days IMO

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

The #! front page is quite uninviting too.  :(

VastOne

^ Yar... it almost looks like the forum is closed. That was my first reaction...

It is starting to look a lot like another BBQ over there regarding the development.  It would not surprise me at all to see those two communities and development teams combined and entwined for the future releases

What troubles me though is how people are being treated.  Seems very anti FOSS like IMO

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Yep, IMHO at this point, it makes some more sense building a custom #! like system from a Debian net installer (just what corenominal proposed) or joining the BBQ than following Bunsen... whatever it ends up to be.

ozitraveller

To keep the community going and support users, they should proceed with business as usual.

They should also shift the whole development discussion offline, until they have something concrete.

Would be nice of they posted updates to keep the community in the loop too.

Just my 2 cents.

VastOne

^ that would have been the sane thing to do.  If rational thinking had been applied

Unfortunately the emotional responses from some of the most ardent people there has now left a troubling aftertaste.  It is yet another classic example of why Linux fails to gain footholds in some circles.. we tend to eat our young when confronted

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

And they won't have much time to rectify the situation.

They need to post a statement on the front page stating their intent.

There was no need to rush in and start development of the next version of #!, as it doesn't have to coincide with the release of jessie.

For me, #! has now turned into another Devuan.

I moved on some time ago.

Digit