Devuan: non-systemd fork of Debian

superwow

This is definitely a cross-post, since I dropped the same info over on the sytemd thread, but, I think it warrants its own post, since the topic has unique ramifications to VSIDO.

Debian has been forked, to Devuan (https://devuan.org/).

I learnt it all from jaromil, the developer of dyne, a tasty debian distro. A nice background on the dyne site: https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20141127.212941.f55acc3a.en.html

I am interested in the ensuing discussion: what will VSIDO do?

VastOne

What will VSIDO do?  Stay with Debian and respect the decisions made by the Technical Committee. Regardless of how bad some of those on the TC are behaving, I respect the way things are done via Debian's democracy

If ever this fork results in 10% of the successes of Debian's 20+ years, I will then look at it.  Until then it is just a squeaky door
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

HA!   :D  Guess I should have checked here first.  Dropped this post on the other thread first...

Quote from: jediI highly suspect VSIDO will continue on in the tradition of Debian, and that we wont see much "forking" in the long run.  20+ years of Debian; what's to fork?
;D

Personally VastOne, I think 10% is a very high number for any fork of Debian to reach...   ???

In reality, this "fork" is "In Their Dreams"...   ::)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

Couple of notes...

One, the first thing this group seems to want is money to get the ball rolling, which in itself is fine if there is something quantifiable to use

Two, I spent quite a bit of time on #debianfork on freenode to listen and observe.  The vitriol there is just as bad as anywhere and leaves a bad taste in my mouth, the arrogance of 'seasoned UNIX admins' is as obvious as the day is long and there seems to be little discussion of anything at all ... It was a lot like the old #!-OT site where BS was the only topic of the day

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

For me it's almost too early to have any meaningful discussion about this.

But soon I will want to see progress, and more info about direction and later timelines with specific goals.

And apart from the obvious what makes them different from Debian, only systemd isn't enough.

They will need to be more than another group, with a gripe!

I'm waiting until spring to see what if anything is produced.