init 's scrambled

paxmark1

Hi,   inits are scrambled.

installed maybe 2 days ago, no problems.  But, tried the live-version of another sid  for the LXQT, but ... 

EDIT 4 days later.  Never solved, but the wicd/ceni hiccup was probably part of.  still not sure how libpam-systemd got removed.  AND - I did not have a clean home.  I had backed up home and was going to format sda2 which is home for for both sid distros I tried, but it did not happen.  In the end I did overkill, formatted sda2 to reiser and then back to ext4.  I have a working sid now, but with lxqt in another brand. 

Vsido did install perfectly my first time     End of EDIT

Reinstalled VSIDO last night- went well.  I went to terminal after Ctl-Alt-F1 and init 3.  I did all my apt-getting after installing apt-listbugs and echo "pkg" hold of libpython2.7-stdlib and systemd.  I added fdupes, ncdu and a couple of other cli's.  I unplugged ehternet, but did not set up wicd for wlan0.  When I went back to add opera,  etc., etc. I realized this.  I had to kill (not kill-9) wicd   I did this via rm wicd.pid  I set up wlan0 with ceni. 

However, from then on,  any way I go after it, my inits are off.  If I go Ctl-Alt-F1 I see the mesages (I copied from screen - typos)  lightdm -14.264861 system log failed to enable subscription   and Failed to fully start up daemon.  Then 5 or more repeats of authentication failed.  Ctl-Alt-Del puts me back into a restart that ends with a fully functional VSIDO gui. 

Booting into rescue mode can get me into a fully funcional gui.  I go into root, type init 3 and it restarts to lightdm log in and fully functional gui.

Trimmed lightdm log

[+0.20s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process "plymouth" (No such file or directory)

+0.20s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.20s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+0.21s] WARNING: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files
[+0.21s] DEBUG: Loading user config from /etc/lightdm/users.conf
[+0.22s] DEBUG: User   ** added

+7.95s] DEBUG: Session pid=2276: Greeter sets language en_US.utf8
[+7.96s] DEBUG: Session pid=2276: Greeter requests session fluxbox
[+7.96s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping greeter; display server will be re-used for user session
[+7.96s] DEBUG: Session pid=2276: Sending SIGTERM
[+8.01s] DEBUG: Session pid=2276: Greeter closed communication channel
[+8.01s] DEBUG: Session pid=2276: Exited with return value 0
[+8.01s] DEBUG: Seat: Session stopped
[+8.01s] DEBUG: Seat: Greeter stopped, running session
[+8.01s] DEBUG: Registering session with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
[+8.02s] DEBUG: Session pid=2392: Running command /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/startfluxbox
[+8.02s] DEBUG: Creating shared data directory /var/lib/lightdm/data/paxmark
[+8.02s] DEBUG: Session pid=2392: Logging to .xsession-errors
[+8.11s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+8.11s] DEBUG: Activating ConsoleKit session 6953a01422b43ca01a15fdee52a3cc7c-1416868272.704141-2006332528
[+8.12s] WARNING: Error activating ConsoleKit session: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.UnmappedError.CkVtMonitorError.Code0: Session is already active

attempts at journald

**@**:~$ journalctl -b
No journal files were found.
paxmark@rauneseee:~$ sudo journalctl -b
[sudo] password for **:
**@**:~$ sudo journalctl -f

After about the fourth time of attempting Ctl-Alt-F1 I undid the hold of systemd and did the apt-get distupgrade.   I got no new problems and  still have the above problem. 

Been looking at logs, googling, and I am stumped.  Could be systemd libpam or lightdm.    Stumped.  Peace.

edited 10pm  Lot of looking.  One thing it looks like I did wrong was after removing gmusicbrowser and vlc (going with mpv) I did an apt-get autoremove.  NO NO in sid I guess.  Damage was libpam-systemd  Reinstalled tonight  and I was able to get output from systemd --test  as opposed to $HOME  blahblah.  Still run inits a jumble and authentication failures.  GUI works fine. 

VastOne

^ Interesting... there is no VLC in VSIDO...

I will follow your steps in a vm to try to reproduce this

Thanks
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

paxmark1

more sleuthing

in rescue mode of vsidl who -r  yields no response other attempts in rescue mode

systemd -cgls
failed to create bus connection

BUT 
ps xawf -eo pid,user,group,cgroup,args

yields quite a bit of data when run as root inside a terminal in the gui.  I came upon this via a Nov 6, Carla Schroder article.  I have read parts at least of her books in the past.

from syslog I noticed that  ntp was  slow  so

systemctl restart ntp
failed to get Dbus connection unknown error #1

systenctl daemon reload
failed to get Dbus connection

I  might go back to the dpkg log and re-search all instances of remove. 

It just might be a good idea to wipe and re-install.  Just might be a learning experience I needed to never use apt-get autoremove in sid. 

VastOne

I use autoremove daily and have never seen an issue like what you are seeing... I am not sure if it is the total issue or not...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

paxmark1

The dbus update did fix some things.  I also added policykit1 and udisks2 via apt-get. They were removed in the autoremove.  Checking with bootupmanager I saw that wicd was somehow still installed, deleted its start at boot and removed it and all programs with wicd in it's name.  I did not autoremove the python dbus and gobject programs.   Ceni is working well with the wlan0

I misspoke in previous post.  VLC was deleted when I was playing with Siduction.  Gmusic browser was apt-get removed.  However it would come up when hit by accident in menu.  I just did an apt-get purge on it.  That should stop.  Haven't put in deadbeef yet. 

The flux box environment still works well

systemd-cgls now gives results  the same as ps xawf -eo pid,user,cgroup,args in gui terminal and Rescue terminal. 

who -r    gives run-level 2  2014-11-25 18:56                   last=S          from root and user terminals in gui

but systemctl  daemon-reload  and systemctl reload httpd.service both give
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Unknown error -1

and journalctl  =b still gives No journal files were found.  This is after adding a journal directory to the proper place and then going into the correct /etc conf file and changing journaling from auto to persistent.    So it goes.