To all who really (not) like Gnome...

dizzie

I got a network msg on freenode the other day, pointed me to this blog link http://blog.freenode.net/2014/11/helping-gnome-defend-its-trademark/

I then got curious, and went here: http://investor.groupon.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=848707

17 years Gnome, you were all fun and nice, until the death of Gnome 2.32! Not really sure if I should laugh, or cry about Groupon "stealing" the name Gnome for their tablet shit....
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

VastOne

See that's the real issue with supporting Foss.. you can't have it both ways, one must be either all in with Foss or all out I don't understand how you can like it and then not like it. Every single open source projects out there has made terrible decisions in the past, some have lived some have died and gone on. that's the nature of this beast that we live in. but the gnome Foundation has been around for a lot more than just gnome  and supported open source in ways that hundreds of thousands have benefited from. The thing that strikes me the most is that did anyone even bother researching the name Gnome and deciding that they should not use it from within that organization and that this is a real a legal issue? It is a real joke in my opinion and should be thrown immediately out of court.
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

Sure it is real bad, that some "hotshot" company just pick a name, and i'm pretty sure, that they know about Gnome Foundation, and most likely have just "meh it's just some Linux whatever"

I've been a Gnome user (the De) for as long as i've been using Ubuntu and Debian, until the death of 2.32 (Was already using awesome/i3 by then)

I _REALLY_ hope that someone is able to kick groupon in the mouth for doing this!

If I could have it my way, 2.32 was still active  8)

VastOne

^ I agree... that was the good old days of getting things to work together perfectly. Spinning cubes, beryl, compiz, epic themes...

FUCK Conky!   :P  ;D

... and this runaway shite that is Iceweasel... something lately on both the SID version and the nightly is chewing CPU and memory like junk halloween candy

Got any good recommendations for a quality browser that will work with java and videos and shockwave and not cost an arm and leg in resources and size on an ISO?

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

Try look at qupzilla? rekonq? midori? (no idea about Java though)

The closest we get to 2.32 today, is actually window maker (Good old motif!) I'll play around with that later (Will keep you posted)

dizzie

Rekonq:

The process will require 524 MB more space.
101 MB to be downloaded.

Ok, maybe not... :)

VastOne

Moved to correct area for total discussions...

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on November 12, 2014, 06:49:07 PM
^ I agree... that was the good old days of getting things to work together perfectly. Spinning cubes, beryl, compiz, epic themes...

FUCK Conky!   :P  ;D

... and this runaway shite that is Iceweasel... something lately on both the SID version and the nightly is chewing CPU and memory like junk halloween candy

Got any good recommendations for a quality browser that will work with java and videos and shockwave and not cost an arm and leg in resources and size on an ISO?

Midori is the only one that comes to mind - the FAQ has the solutions to get flash, java, gtk themes working if you're having trouble - http://midori-browser.org/faqs/

That's inconceivable that Groupon's legal didn't know about Gnome - or at least found out about it doing trademark research; I'm thinking some lawyer figured Gnome would just roll over.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

dizzie

Midori is not bad, it's sexy webkit at its finest  :D

Digit

no one mention mate to you yet?

i've not used gnome3 at all yet, nor keen to after my kde4 experience.  i think i used mate briefly a couple times now.  seemed just like classic gnome to me.  but like i say, i've not seen enough to say it's every bit as worthy.  certainly seems a better way to live on than what happened to kde3, with a dozen poorly manned efforts all forgotten in the background, probably dead.   at least there's the likes of razor-qt and lxde-qt now.

mate seems nice tho.

ps, fuck the guff.  (re: gnome name legality stupid moves)  ;)

jeffreyC

Don't see why they would need that kind of money for this, as soon as any competent judge saw that there was a trademark that existed for over a decade Groupon would get thoroughly chewed out for lack of due diligence.
No long drawn out court case required.

Considering the Gnome3 efforts to "protect the brand" by preventing theming Gnome3, I see this as a case of crying wolf.

dizzie

Back in my days (made me sound old, but whatever...) Window Maker was called Windowmaker, but some company making windows (those made of glass?) filed a lawsuit again Windowmaker, and they agreed on renaming it to Window Maker.
So yeah, I don't think Gnome will win this one :(

jeffreyC

The party that has already had the name in use is very nearly always the winner, 17 years is pretty much established and I would be amazed if they lost to Groupon.