[SOLVED] Swap or no swap...

jedi

On any new install I do, I always choose the no swap choice from the menu.  However, on the very next reboot, and subsequent reboots after that, it takes quite a while for the system to boot.  This is because in /etc/fstab there is always an entry for /dev/swap that is not commented out.  I have to physically go into fstab and edit this line by commenting it out in order for my boot times to be normal.

This is a look at my fstab after a brand new install;

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1 / ext4 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda2 home
/dev/sda2 /home ext4 relatime 0 0
# /dev/
/dev/ none swap sw 0 0
# cdrom
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

After editing it, I have this;

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
# /dev/sda2 home
/dev/sda2 /home ext4 defaults,noatime 0 0
# /dev/
# /dev/ none swap sw 0 0
# cdrom
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Anyone else running into this issue on new installs?  If so, please respond ASAP here.  Be nice to know if it is just me or if it is happening to everyone.  On my installs, I choose to have a separate "/" and "/home".  (as you can see in the fstab posted above)  (The "defaults,noatime" is an edit I make due to having SSD drives.)  I can't imagine what is causing this.  Any input appreciated...

Thanks
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

I asked jedi to post this (thanks mate)..

I have done at least 1,000 test installs over the last year (since commenting out swap from the build fstabs) and have never seen this

This is a bit bizarre IMO and we are seeking comments just to see where this issue is
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

@jedi -

By new install do you mean a clean install where your drive is formatted?

Is this happening on your laptop - which is new enough to have UEFI, correct? If so, you running BIOS legacy or doing some install-fu for UEFI?

Only thing that comes to mind is that you have something in your hardware specs causing the installer to barf a bit.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ You have not seen this behavior then Mr RatMan?

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Hey PackRat!  No, this is on an 8 year old Thinkpad, running in regular legacy BIOS as I'm fairly sure this is NOT a UEFI enabled machine.  It has a 256Gb SSD, and 8Gb's of RAM.  Totally wiped and cleaned the drive, formatted and reinstalled with the same results.  Bizarre to say the least.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

8 years old shouldn't be UEFI.

No I've never had this happen. I've installed with and without swap on my HP laptop and my old desktop. Neither are UEFI.

Can't see why the installer would only fail for jed unless it's hardware related.

Anyone other posts on this topic? Be interesting if they had a Thinkpad, or at least a laptop.

You use a CD or USB to perform the install, jed?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

It is definitely not a UEFI system.  I used a liveUSB created with dd.  Oddly enough, I did a reinstall with just one partition consisting of the entire drive, and it worked as it is supposed to.  (/ and /home on the same partition of /dev/sda1)
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

^ That gives me a starting point in the script to see what is failing with a creation of a /home partition.  It is obviously choosing a different fstab file for that event

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

@jedi - do you typically just use a / and /home partition?

I also use a separate /home, but also have a partition for data and nfs share. Be interesting if it's the two partition only scheme that triggers this.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

@packrat... Do you allow the installer to create your /home partition or do you add an existing directory to fstab?

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Yes, always a separate /home partition...   Used to have /var, /usr, /etc, /boot, but in the end figured why so complicated and narrowed it down to just the two.  (/ and /home)
Forum Netiquette

jedi

As always, VastOne provides a wonderful save!  Well done, and thank-you very much sir!!!   :)
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

Thanks...

I appreciate the bug reported... once I knew about it I could track it down

For those keeping score, the installer was in fact creating a separate/different fstab file and I simply corrected it

Thanks jedi!

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on October 14, 2014, 02:21:29 AM
@packrat... Do you allow the installer to create your /home partition or do you add an existing directory to fstab?

I pre-partition my drive then select which will be /, /home, and swap.

After install I use blkid and edit /etc/fstab to mount it all by UUID.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Exactly my method of madness...  8)

I dev VSIDO