Boot Up Question

Gordon

Hi PackRat

Just run both those commands and come up with no results. However a little while back I had a brain  storm for me and tried synaptic package manager and it came up with one installed ati driver so I promptly removed it, as yet I haven't managed to watch a boot up so I'll post again when I have done so and let you know the results. busy cooking for the shop tomorrow at the moment  :)
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

Gordon

Hi PackRat

Just done a reboot with the same result three failed , something to do with a kernal load
Gordon

PackRat

Something like -

[Failed] Failed to Start Load Kernel Modules

I think there is a message right after that with the systemctl command to use to get some details; it might be:

systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service

I've seen that one in other forums related to fails at boot.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat

Here are the results of the command you suggested

systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service -l
● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2014-10-16 19:50:20 BST; 6min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 363 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 363 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 16 19:50:20 VSIDO systemd-modules-load[363]: libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:673 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf line 6: ignoring bad line starting with 'fb'
Oct 16 19:50:20 VSIDO systemd-modules-load[363]: Failed to insert 'radeon': Invalid argument
Oct 16 19:50:20 VSIDO systemd-modules-load[363]: Inserted module 'nvidia_current'
Oct 16 19:50:20 VSIDO systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 16 19:50:20 VSIDO systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Oct 16 19:50:20 VSIDO systemd[1]: Unit systemd-modules-load.service entered failed state.

I noticed that it mentioned Radeon, that was the old card and is no longer in use

Any use ?
Gordon

PackRat

I am not sure what command (systemctl or rmmod) to use so that your system no longer wants to load a radeon module.

Everything is working on your computer right? Video, sound any other bells and whistles?

Check line 6 of /etc/modprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf - what is it trying to blacklist? Strangely enough, line 6 of mine is to blacklist the radeonfb module.

Maybe one workaround would be to blacklist the radeon module in question so the kernel will skip over it. In /etc/modprobe.d you can create a radeon-blacklist.conf, but I don't know if radeon is the actual name of the module.

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

line 6 on my machine simply says fb, just those to letters nothing else
Gordon

jedi

Hello Gordon, sorry your having some issues there.  If, after trying PackRats solutions you are still having troubles, then maybe a different approach might do the trick.  Of course I may end up catching your computer on fire too so make sure you have stuff backed up!

I'm going to try to do this through Grub.  First, you should never ever never mess with this file!  :D  Go to /etc/default/grub.  Open the file named grub, in medit.  (or text editor of your choice)  On or around line #9 you should see EXACTLY this line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
It may or may not have some stuff after it in quotation marks.  There may actually be more than one way to do this, but first try adding the following to the part inside the quotation marks;
"quiet nomodeset ATI.modeset=0"
Make sure when you save /etc/default/grub file that you've just edited, that you go into a terminal window and type in sudo update-grub.  (or if your using your wonderful VSIDO distro, just typing UPG will do the same thing.  It is an alias included with your VSIDO install that issues the same command with less typing!)  This will make the changes you just made permanent and on reboot should immediately be active in your Grub at boot up.

Now, if that doesn't work, try changing the 'ATI.modeset=0' part to 'radeon.modeset=0' and so on.  Every time you edit the /etc/default/grub, make sure to remember to update-grub (or UPG).  When your system boots up, if you don't want to actually make these changes to your Grub file, you can try them out first by hitting the letter 'E' when the Grub screen appears.  Scroll down untill you see the above line,  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= and make the changes right there on boot.  This will only work for that boot up, and will not save it in Grub.  In other words, you would need to do that every time you booted.  Sometimes I confuse myself when trying to help, so hopefully your not to confused!  Sometimes it is harder to explain something than it actually is to do it!
This is all just basically doing what PackRat has already instructed you on just a different route to getting there!
The line 'ATI.modeset=0' is telling your computer NOT to use the radeon card (since you've removed it) and as long as you've installed the nvidia drivers correctly, hopefully will solve the boot issue.  If it only half-way does the trick, perhaps re-installing the nvidia drivers using smxi would help.
Let us know, and hopefully I haven't confused anyone to badly.   ???
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Quote from: Gordon on October 16, 2014, 08:45:08 PM
line 6 on my machine simply says fb, just those to letters nothing else

all the other lines are something like -

blacklist arkfb

right? That is proper format for a blacklist file.

change line 6 to:

blacklist radeonfb
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi

@ jedi

Tried all those changes that you said no different I'm afraid still comes up failed

@ PackRat

Changed line 6 to blacklist radeonfb as above still comes up failed

Have just reinstalled the nvidia driver using smxi it has also made no difference. Guess at some stage I will have to download the latest ISO and do my usual complete installation again to fix it but that is a bit further down the line as it is basically working.  :)
Gordon