Boot Up Question

Gordon

Hi Folks

When I boot my machine up I see a few red FAILED items but they past too fast for me to read. I know that they will be in a log somewhere but where is it please ? This has only started since I upgraded to kernel 3-16-2-amd64. I had to go and buy a new graphics card even to get it to boot up as it said mine was too old, just like me probably  :D
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

statmonkey

There should still be a number of files you can check in the folder /var/log that should give you the information.  These would include syslog, messages, dmesg.  There might be something in user.log and debug as well.  A little hard to understand what your graphics card issue would be, it's strange that a kernel upgrade would obsolete a working graphics card no matter how aged.

VastOne

Assuming you are running a current version of VSIDO (from the last year anyway) and systemd is in play you can run

systemctl --failed

in terminal and that will outline any and all failures

Welcome back Gordon...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne
Thanks for the reply. ran the command you stated and got this which means now't to me
root@VSIDO:/home/gordon# systemctl --failed
  UNIT                         LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● systemd-modules-load.service loaded failed failed Load Kernel Modules

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

1 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

Ran the command above, still means nothing to me, and got the following

root@VSIDO:/home/gordon# systemctl list-unit-files
UNIT FILE                                  STATE   
proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount          static 
dev-hugepages.mount                        static 
dev-mqueue.mount                           static 
proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount              static 
sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount              static 
sys-kernel-config.mount                    static 
sys-kernel-debug.mount                     static 
tmp.mount                                  disabled
cups.path                                  enabled
systemd-ask-password-console.path          static 
systemd-ask-password-wall.path             static 
session-1.scope                            static 
acpi-fakekey.service                       static 
acpid.service                              disabled
alsa-restore.service                       static 
alsa-state.service                         static 
alsa-store.service                         static 
alsa-utils.service                         masked 
anacron.service                            enabled
atd.service                                enabled
autovt@.service                            disabled
avahi-daemon.service                       enabled
lines 1-23

Are there things that I should have started somewhere along the line ?  ::)

Hi  statmonkey

this is my user log from today but the hole thing seem to repeat itself anyway

Oct  9 20:31:27 VSIDO org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[1026]: index_parse.c:191: indx_parse(): error opening /home/gordon/images/BDMV/index.bdmv
Oct  9 20:31:27 VSIDO org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[1026]: index_parse.c:191: indx_parse(): error opening /home/gordon/documents/BDMV/index.bdmv
Oct  9 20:31:27 VSIDO org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[1026]: index_parse.c:191: indx_parse(): error opening /home/gordon/documents/BDMV/BACKUP/index.bdmv
Oct  9 20:31:27 VSIDO org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[1026]: index_parse.c:191: indx_parse(): error opening /home/gordon/images/BDMV/BACKUP/index.bdmv
Oct  9 20:37:54 VSIDO org.freedesktop.secrets[1026]: ** Message: couldn't access control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: No such file or directory
Oct  9 20:37:54 VSIDO org.freedesktop.secrets[1026]: Gkm-Message: using old keyring directory: /home/gordon/.gnome2/keyrings
Oct  9 20:37:54 VSIDO org.freedesktop.secrets[1026]: Gkm-Message: using old keyring directory: /home/gordon/.gnome2/keyrings

again I have no idea what its on about  ::)

The other logs are in the same vane  alas not a clue about any of them except that my printer seem to be mentioned quite a lot. As to my graphics card I don't know why either as it hasn't happened before. It just went as far as the graphics setup and kept telling me my card was no longer supported and would not go any further or let met reinstall the legacy driver that I had before. The odd thing is that I thing the driver that it has install for this card ( geforce gt 740 ) is the same driver I think as the one I was using anyway.
Gordon

VastOne

Gordon... Is this the machine that has a new video card?

Was the old card a nVidia?  Is the new card a nVidia? 

I am thinking that it may be looking for something that was there and is now gone... which may need drivers removed from modules
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Hmm that driver/card issue makes little sense to me.  I am wondering what the original message was.  I assume you are using the Nvidia drivers?  If so I may as well pass this off to VastOne.  I don't use Nvidia drivers at all and no little to nothing about systemd hands on.  Sorry, I will keep thinking about this and watch the thread. 

The repeating lines in your logs are just the repetitions on each boot up.  One set for each time the system comes up. 

VastOne is probably heading you in the right direction with the hint towards the card that was removed.  I am just concerned that there is something pre-existing (whatever caused it to say your old card was outdated).  Not something I think you should ever see. JMTC

Gordon

Hi People

Thanks for the replies'

@ VastOne

The old Graphics card was a Realtex ATI RX550 and the new one is a Nvidia geforce GT740

They are / were installed in the same machine

I hope that you can tell me exactly which drivers to remove or  all hell will break loose here if it's left for me to guess which ones are which  :D

@ statmonkey

Thanks for your input even if you can't go any further, it is still way beyond me and my ability  ;D
Gordon

PackRat

You will want to remove the ATI graphics drivers; I'm thinking the drivers/modules for that card carried over when the kernel upgraded so, at boot, the kernel is loading the drivers but fails because the hardware is not there. Did you upgrade before changing graphics cards?

Smxi may be able to help you here. You can go into the graphics section directly and see if there is an option to remove your ATI drivers.

I'm assuming you can still log into an X session and the nvidia card is working.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat

Thanks for that. I'll log out now and give it a try and see what happens  :)
Gordon

Gordon

Hi PackRat

Just tried smxi but their doesn't seem to be anything in the graphics section to let you remove drivers, I'll have to try something else
Gordon

PackRat

How did you install the ATI drivers in the first place?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

to be perfectly honest I can't remember it was that long ago but more than likely with smxi
Gordon

PackRat

If they're modules, you should be able to remove them.

In a terminal, what is the output of:

lsmod | grep ati
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

hi PackRat

The output is

pata_atiixp            12747  0
libata                177457  4 ahci,libahci,ata_generic,pata_atiixp

hope that helps, it means nothing to me. I did find a folder called ati in /usr/src/linux_headers, but that's all I have found
Gordon

PackRat

Noting stands out; but I forgot ATI drivers usually have fglrx or radeon in the name - my bad. Try:

lsmod | grep fglrx

and

lsmod | grep radeon

Did you install proprietary ATI drivers, you can try to locate an uninstall script - maybe in /usr/share/ati
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo