October 2014 Screenshots

statmonkey

Quote from: PackRat on October 11, 2014, 06:07:40 PM
dmenu is pretty flexible, I have seen scripts (head to the Arch or Gentoo forums) where dmenu is used in menus for multimedia or web content. I don't code, but have always suspected that the underlying code for an openbox pipemenu is doing something similar.

Actually there really isn't any coding in putting together a pipe menu, at least not if you don't want to.  Pipe menu's really are built off a standard template using perl or bash. The originals were made about ten years ago and are pretty extensively documented.  I like them because they can be layered and multi-functional.  You can call another process, run it, comeback to the pipemenu, run some more, etc. which I can't get in a single key click setup and I am pretty sure you can use them in dmenu.  I just really haven't figured it out.

I did review the arch stuff on dmenu and scripts/code and found it confusing.  I may revisit that as I can do some pretty neat stuff with dmenu I just need the proper motivation I guess.  You have inspired me to have another crack at it.  Really love your work here and appreciate your sharing it as well as you thoughts.

Oh, on key combo's.  I have another issue.  I often forget them/which keys/etc and I am a bit like a husband travelling with his wife.  I refuse to stop and ask for directions.  :D  I gave up key bindings for that reason.  For some reason I can remember a script name when I can't remember a key binding, I failed miserable at vi for this reason.

PackRat

Sorry, not the actual coding for the pipe menu script itself. Coding in openbox must take the output of the script and parse it into a format to display in the menu. Both Arch and Gentoo forums have some pretty clever coders that have put together some scripts - bash and python mostly - and get results displayed in the menu.

messing around with green -

spectrwm - jed text editor, lightweight cli text editor with emacs key bindings:

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jeffreyC

Remembering keybindings ???
That's probably why CrunchBang has a list on the desktop via the conky.

airtime

Great shots guys .. I have been playing with openbox on Vsido also .. So far everything seem to be working perfectly.  I will post a shot soon

PackRat

Quote from: jeffreyC on October 16, 2014, 02:10:39 AM
Remembering keybindings ???
That's probably why CrunchBang has a list on the desktop via the conky.

Those are just the openbox key bindings for app; then there are the keybindings for jed or emacs - a conky to display all the keybindings for emacs would be quite the undertaking. Of course, it would have to be done in lua and be interactive  .... then again, f*ck conky.

back on topic; lost a bet with my brother - had to modify my desktop wallpaper for the day (curse you Kansas City Royals, but good luck in the World Series anyway):

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

@PackRat, the green is really nice.  Might have to take a break from the blue!   :D
Man I love GMB!  VastOne your layouts are awesome!  mrpeachy has a new weather script based on data pulled from WeatherUnderground called wun.  I did a fast and loose combination of that script and conkyforecast to get what you see at the bottom left.  Otherwise, pretty much same ole, same ole...

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

^ Incredible look and concept Jedi, well done!  mrpeachy is still kicking that out.. nice

@PackRat... Not a BoSox fan?  Whats up with that?  8)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

@jedi - thanks, I keep trying with green, but can't quite get it right.

@vastone -

Sox haven't been the same since Yaz retired.

hat tip to the Kansas City Royals for opening a big ol' can of whoop-ass for the post season.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ I agree about BoSox and Yaz but at least they did get off the losing wagon..

The Cubs are finally on their way to building a team to do the same with the same architects that did it for Boston...

That is when I will smile on Baseball again...

I do like both KC and SF... gonna be a great series..

If SF wins it is pretty much a lock then that my beloved Chicago Blackhawks will win this rear too.. Every other year they have won the cup, following (nearly) in SF's footsteps

Will post a scrot in a few minutes...

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

jedi

To say that I'm stunned, honored, proud, and many other superlatives that just don't seem to do justice to how I feel at this honor!!!

From start to finish, including getting everything installed via the vsido-welcome script, as well as a few other 'apps' I install for myself, it took around 35 minutes total to be completely back up and running.  With creating .fsa files of my system, I can now have VSIDO codename:Jedi, back installed from a blank state in less than 7 minutes!  You just can't beat that in a distro.
This is a beautiful new look as well that is extremely easy on the eyes!  I'm loving every minute of it.  (and possibly growing a larger head to boot.  Soon I'll be having trouble walking through doorways!)
Thanks again VastOne, this has been one awesome ride...

Also have a look at these numbers:
jedi@jedsdesk:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 1.674s (kernel) + 1.253s (userspace) = 2.927s
STAGGERING!!!
These boot speeds are incredible!!!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Nice one jed - what services are you running on that box; pretty incredible boot times.

drive by scrots while I'm here -

openbox - sans panel and window decs -

fluxbox -

and a new fluxbox style - I don't know which is more frustrating; getting yellow or green to work in a theme.

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Quote from: PackRat on October 18, 2014, 01:41:47 PM
Nice one jed - what services are you running on that box; pretty incredible boot times.

and a new fluxbox style - I don't know which is more frustrating; getting yellow or green to work in a theme.
Just the default stuff that runs when booting a normal install of VSIDO Jedi!  Yellow is definitely the most frustrating.  I've gone through a couple of green scenes that didn't look bad at all.  Your earlier shots with the green, I thought, looked really great!
Forum Netiquette

airtime

interesting boot times.

I need to do a new install from the latest iso.   
My current boot fime for my Fedora lab system
[root@devlap tmp]# systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 5.598s (kernel) + 3.639s (initrd) + 27.424s (userspace) = 36.662s

Vsido
Mas@vsido:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 4.776s (kernel) + 1min 25.491s (userspace) = 1min 30.268s

jedi

@airtime, sorry for the delay!  Here it is...

Forum Netiquette