Long Live SpaceFM (Was once SpaceFM replacement)

VastOne

^ Thank you statmonkey...

Just followed up on the right channels ... to the right people

Has it been a while since a dist-upgrade?  I am not seeing anything other than normal daily routine updates now
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

My warmest thanks to all who have contributed to this solution.

My newly beloved SpaceFM is back in business 8)

VastOne

^ You bet!

Just another example of how we look for things to solve, it defines us...

I have always said this, and it epitomizes VSIDO and this Community quite well...

You are either part of the solution or part of the problem... you chose.  If it is the latter, get the hell out of my way!  8)

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Good that SpaceFM was fixed.

Just a drive by posting - should SpaceFM fall by the wayside again - I forgot about this file manager:

Sunflower File Manager - http://sunflower-fm.org/

Pretty good file manager - but not in the repos; only dependencies are python and python-gtk which are usually installed. If you want the terminal python-vte needs to be installed.

Not recommending it for default in VSIDO, just dropping a link here for future reference should someone come looking.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

statmonkey

Thank you PackRat, that is a really nice find.  I really do think that SpaceFM is going to require a pretty major overhaul soon because of the udevil issues and changes in policies under the hood in Debian.  The disk stuff is really going to be changing and I wonder if they can keep up.  I have just started playing with sunflower but like what I have seen.  I need to monkey around with the customizations but like the simplicity and it looks clean.  installing it was a no-brainer with dependencies all already met.  This might be a nice little app to have around in the arsenal.  I just did a completely fresh install to JEDI and spacefm immediately died unless I was root.  No messages, no notifications, nothing logged.  It took me far too long (my issue) to realize that it was hating on my external quad drive bay and no amount of tinkering with udevil would seem to make them get along.  FWIW sunflower seems to be perfectly fine with it right out of the box. 

VastOne

@RatMan.... Thanks for this find... I remember Sunflower from many moons ago and tried it I think on Fedora

@StatMan ... Well said.  I am growing more and more weary of SpaceFM and it's dependencies .. I will also monkey around with the customizations.. It is this type of info that I need to help in making changes ... I was not aware SpaceFM was puking on simple things ... I will take a good look at Sunflower with you

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

W O W

I lub it already... it is very small clean and powerful

Lets keep a list of what can be done with it somewhere... You mind starting that one statmonkey?

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

It's been a while since I was here last! It seems I've missed some interesting discussions!
I think I saw this coming sometimes back,
http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=776.0

SpaceFM alternative for vsido?
Theoretically there are some alternatives available in Debian Sid. I will list-link them in alphabetical order,

But practically I can't see past these two,

Why not something out of the Debian Sid repos?
Because Sid has a hobby of breaking  toys!

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

jeffreyC

As long as it's NOT rox-filer, I've tried that in puppy where it was the standard for years, it does not work at all like I expect a file manager to work.

But really it does not make much difference as long as it is not tied in too tightly to the whole, like Nautilus was to Gnome. (yeah, I know they've replaced that, shows how long since I've used Gnome)

Simple to apt-get/aptitude/Synaptic whatever is wanted.

Digit

im late to the discussion (havent caught up with everything), but seems to me to find a replacement to spacefm is going to result in a loss (in features-to-lightness and awesomeness).

pcmanfm seems the immediate "only" choice.  but then ... how hard/bloaty would it be to have kde3's konqueror?   or... er... wasnt there a project that tried to make a stand-alone konqueror? ~ maybe i'm just thinking of amarok.

i'm still supposed to be taking it easy for health reasons, but the eager beaver workaholic who doesnt know his own limits in me wants to fork n maintain spacefm.  lol.

surely spacefm wont die, it's too good to die.  ~ maybe it's back from the dead already, i wouldnt know, outta the loop.

i'd suggest sunflower if it were a little more convention following in the little touches.

Snap

New to the forum, but I have to say that spacefm is my favorite light weight file manger.  Thunar and pcmanfm never did it for me.

So, how's the situation? I just downloaded and installed the last Vsido iso two days ago and spacefm is still in. Will it be replaced any time soon?

Anyways, I just installed sunflower to give it a go and my vote goes for it... If this means something.  :D  It's amazing! Thanks for pointing out, PackRat. What a discovering!

VastOne

So long as SpaceFM is supported when there are issues, it will remain VSIDO's default file manager

Recent issues that disabled SpaceFM were dealt with when bug reports were done ... showing that even with the main developer on hiatus, bugs do get fixed in a very short period of time

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Good to know. Thanks, VastOne.

Digit

VastOne

NOTE - SpaceFM is now back in full time development and support mode

A million thanks to IgnorantGuru and his team for all of their efforts in this incredible application

SpaceFM 1.0.0 has been packaged and released to SID repos (x64 version only so far)

A simple up (in VSIDO) or sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade will get it for you

I have also changed the name of this thread from SpaceFM replacement to Long Live SpaceFM

I dev VSIDO