Long Live SpaceFM (Was once SpaceFM replacement)

statmonkey

Looks like a great deal of systemd stuff and also some backend changes to lightdm haven't rebooted yet but the upgrade went well at least.  I threw systemd back on this afternoon after I got your email.  Went very smooth.  I had no issues with runit though, it worked very well.

VastOne

I have filed a bug report with the spacefm maintainer that will be  is debian Bug#763575

The content is this:

Package: spacefm
Version: 0.4.9-1

Since GLib ≥ 2.41 update spacefm 0.4.9-1 has failed with the error Attempt to unlock mutex that was not locked.

Reported here:
https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues/468

Verified here:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2014-August/msg08240.html

Solution from BwackNinja here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/BwackNinja/spacefm/master/src/main.c

SpaceFM is the default file manager in VSIDO a distro I develop and am responsible for.  We all run on the latest SID packages and kernel.

I suggest building the next package with BwackNinjas source
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

zephyr

SpaceFM was excellent, and until a few seconds ago unaware other than it didn't work, it being not available makes a lot of sense. I use PCManFM with #!, along with Thunar. I would say it would be my choice. I added both of these to VSIDO. If anyone could help me why Radiotray doesn't work either, appreciate a yell back. 
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

zephyr

I think there are a number of apps now not working, not VSIDO's fault, but agree on Debian's bug. I like VSIDO a lot, and SID is the most stable, what I have become to appreciate. Misery would be stuck with ubuntu and gnome3. zephyr

statmonkey

Quote from: zephyr on October 01, 2014, 05:52:11 AM
SpaceFM was excellent, and until a few seconds ago unaware other than it didn't work, it being not available makes a lot of sense. I use PCManFM with #!, along with Thunar. I would say it would be my choice. I added both of these to VSIDO. If anyone could help me why Radiotray doesn't work either, appreciate a yell back.

Radio tray doesn't work because of the mutex bug.  A few posts back VastOne was kind enough to post a fix that will repair it. 

QuoteFor radiotray (not in VSIDO but I will include it here)

Code: [Select]

sudo medit /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/SysTray.py

and remove this line

Code: [Select]

gtk.gdk.threads_init()

For the spaceFM thing.  For me if it moves forward great but I too am ready to move on with Thunar it works well with systemd and is built to take advantage of it.

I think that lightdm is probably going to be fine as well.  Once it stables up I am going to look at forking it or possibly working out my own solution using either the C program I started writing or looking deeper into the run level issues with PackRat's solution.  This (the getting in and out of X issue are known problems but I think I may know how to overcome them).  I'll have a lot, lot more time after this evening to dedicate to them. 

Since we are heading down the systemd road that final decision alone makes moving forward a bit easier, knowing the parameters to work in makes it much simpler to divide out the issues and work on them. 

That said, there is a lot of in and out right now in the Debian world, this tends to go in fits and starts.  Right now we are in fit mode.  It will settle over the next few days.  VO has this thing on the run and I am ready to support that 100%.  I am finding a few more issues now, the udev2 stuff seems to be in real flux and it's hard to do much on that low level until it settles down.

VastOne

@zephyr

I edited statmonkey's post to correct the path of the file that needs to be edited...

@statmonkey, I knew you would not mind being on the road

I also corrected it on the original post

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Of course as soon as I build / test and upload the new ISO's that have spacefm-gtk3 on them, the bug report comes back from Debian that spaceFM has been patched and is in the FTP process ... expect an upgrade from SID tonight or tomorrow for the latest and patched version of spaceFM

I want to thank everyone involved in this think tank approach to solving several issues in the FOSS kingdom...

LightDM has been corrected as well (a work around) and is working fine on the latest ISO's

I will release new ISO's with spaceFM proper on them on the next ISO cycle.. 2 weeks or a new SID kernel..

Things seem to be settling down...

I dev VSIDO

zephyr

Thanks for the radiotray help, but still doesn't work. Not worried about it, got it on #!. I appreciate the responsive nature of helping, I like this forum and the folks who steadily help each other out, it's a tough job looking after the lost. Thanks. Let you know if I get this working. A "space" does appear near the network icon, and disappears. So, something is partially going right. Thanks. zephyr

VastOne

raidotray just updated tonight and fixed it themselves... in SID

I dev VSIDO

zephyr

Excellent, I was doing the script suggested for the third time, went to #! and ran the code as well to see if there were any change or different script, nothing different. So, I ran a remove and reinstall and bang, it works. Thanks for the effort, and I do like this distro a lot, I do have a few IT type of friends (window type) and they all have copies. Great distro, excellent support.  (by the way, please always keep a menu editor that the user has control of-not automated) VSIDO is unique in many aspects, too many to discuss here, but all in a sophisticated way which I like #! for. Thanks again.  The best. zephyr 

VastOne

^ You are most welcome sir...

Thanks for the kind words!

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Quote from: VastOne on October 01, 2014, 09:47:39 PM
Of course as soon as I build / test and upload the new ISO's that have spacefm-gtk3 on them, the bug report comes back from Debian that spaceFM has been patched and is in the FTP process ... expect an upgrade from SID tonight or tomorrow for the latest and patched version of spaceFM

I want to thank everyone involved in this think tank approach to solving several issues in the FOSS kingdom...

LightDM has been corrected as well (a work around) and is working fine on the latest ISO's

I will release new ISO's with spaceFM proper on them on the next ISO cycle.. 2 weeks or a new SID kernel..

Things seem to be settling down...

Great job VastOne, this has been a brutal couple of weeks but the effort has been stellar as always.  I'll grab the new stuff tonight and see how it flies.  I really am actually enjoying some parts of thunar.  Having both is not a bad thing.   Thanks also for fixing my post to zephyr.  I couldn't of fixed it had I not been on the road since I was just reposting what  you had written and had no idea how to use it.  LOL. 

VastOne

Thank you statmonkey... I always keep thunar also and use it to compare things.. I really have been spoiled by all the tools in spacefm

I appreciate all that you do for VSIDO, we are grateful to have you!

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

BTW...

The patch that BwackNinja supplied has been packaged by the debian maintainer Mateusz Łukasik and version 9.4-2 is in the FTP process of upload to the debian servers. I am running it now without issues, the mutex errors gone. Thank you for the help and support arclance and BwackNinja

Mutex free version of SpaceFM

I am running it now with no issues... is still in the upload process via FTP but you can dload it from debian servers that it has reached it is now in the channels

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Yep, just added back spacefm, ran an upgrade and ... we are back.  Giddy at having it again, it's like seeing an old high school friend.  ;)

Also another big load of additions in the upgrade as well as an apps to remove list about a mile long. 

Really great work on pushing along this spacefm fix VastOne.  If the udev2 stuff in it repaired we are far ahead of the game.