Light DM issues

VastOne

^ Thank you statman!

I am sure I got that from the Arch Wiki or forum.. those guys are the legends
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

It looks like some things are sorted.  I just ran and update and it seemed to not demand the removal of calibre and it's got all the pythonqt and glib stuff in it.  It also is still demanding that I install apache2 but at this point I will give that up and see what removing it post upgrade does.  I'll be testing this tonight I suppose the bash bug/exploit forced them to push something out right away.

jedi

Yes, some things are solved!  Calibre is still there and working after a successful update and dist-upgrade!  Still getting the "mutex" error on things like Mirage and Disk-Manager.  So to my eyes, while some things have been ironed out, probably should wait on marking this as solved?   ::)
I've switched around several Gtk themes, and get the same errors when trying to run those particular apps.

So it appears that the piecemeal effort of patching apps, one at a time, (as they fail) is still about the only way some of this is going to be worked out.  Why can't I kick the poop out of somebody?   :'(

I guess I can't complain to bad.  I got to read an Elmore Leonard novel today (Raylan) that was most enjoyable!  (thanks statmonkey)  8)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

statmonkey

Jedi you are welcome to (virtually anyway) kick the shit out of me anytime you want. 

Man you sprinted thru that you will probably have that whole library read in about a month.  Don't worry I have another 1,000 or books to add to it when I get the time. 

ozitraveller

I have a number of boxes/vm's with sid running and apart from the issue with lightDM I seem to be stable, so far. The only place I had spacefm installed I had removed a couple of weeks ago and replaced with pcmanfm.

But I thought this sounded familiar, and had problems similar to this some time back.
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=34355&p=1

jedi

OK, some changes made to Gtk.  Will post more tomorrow...  Of note, the themes have to match for you to not get the 'ugly' windows.  There are only a few themes to choose from in this regard.  (in my defense this was all done at the point of exhaustion so try at your own risk...)
What I've done is switched to a theme that is the same with Gtk2 and Gtk3.  It is called OMG for anyone interested.  A nice eye pleasing dark theme...

A couple of scrots;

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

statmonkey

Quote from: ozitraveller on September 25, 2014, 03:43:00 AM
I have a number of boxes/vm's with sid running and apart from the issue with lightDM I seem to be stable, so far. The only place I had spacefm installed I had removed a couple of weeks ago and replaced with pcmanfm.

But I thought this sounded familiar, and had problems similar to this some time back.
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=34355&p=1

I love that thread.  Resisting ....... urge ............ to ................. rant. Especially

Quotebut why does it change over night and kill setups?  sad
Don't answer that . . . just thinking out loud.

I am thinking that your degree of problems is going to be directly related to what customizations you have made and where you have made them.  The first set of changes that happened then were more for permission type changes and now it is more for locational stuff and bells and whistles.  I missed most of that first run, this one hits me hard.

For me I will probably see more than most because I have written a fair amount of scripts/packages that work very low level and use certain sanity checks to make sure things are where I think they should be.  When they aren't then that is one problem, but when the actual beginning point is not where I think it should be then that is a different problem.  The second issue causes the sanity check itself to be completely ignored or worse infinite loops and heavy processing time to find that beginning point or resolve to something.  This explains why my box is just grinding away at times with no messages or notification and the box seems like it is locked up.  It would seem to be one of those rare cases where proper coding is actually a detriment.  It also explains what originally happened with LightDM, things were moved and left no forwarding address, the system didn't report it because it's the kind of exception that you just don't expect.  You expect to be starting from a known point.

I believe that I see a pattern here in the changes being made and I think they are towards greater consistency on the protocol of where things go and the order in which they are processed.  I do wish that there had been something put out somewhere (maybe there is but I haven't seen it) that says this is what we are doing and why and how you should expect things to be placed/perform going forward.

I also think that will happen and it will all catch up.  Or if it doesn't I will just start from scratch and rebuild it.  The great thing about VSIDO is that despite the customizations I have done and will probably have to rewrite or forgo I can be from 0-60 in an hour or so.  Again, VastOne thank you.

VastOne

^ My pleasure sir!

I have a pretty good idea who said that over there and it leads me to a conclusion as well... people learn in their own ways. Some fast, some slow and some might not ever 'get it'

Then you have those who will be antagonistic till the day they die... those are also the ones who usually do not know the meaning of forgiveness and most often than not the same ones are banned from every reasonable forum out there. Just an observation ...

Jedi... nice OMG theme ... Here is the link to get it

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

QuoteThen you have those who will be antagonistic till the day they die...

Yes! You mentioned me   :P
Don't Be A Dick!

statmonkey

Quotesome might not ever 'get it'

Then you have those who will be antagonistic till the day they die...

Aha! But he mentioned me twice.  Still torn on whether to reinstall or not.  System is locking up more frequently or more accurately slowing to a crawl and without out real error messages pretty impossible to debug.  I also really need to understand what services systemd really needs for drives.  I see an awful lot of things I would think would be started automagically that are "not-found".

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Thank you for not foisting the REO with Kevin Cronin in it but the one of a kind REO where Gary Rickrath was still in one piece and Murphy sang lead.  When they were making statements instead of making $$$.  Now go to your room and listen to Golden Country five times in a row.

superwow

All,

I have seen this thread growing the past few days. It relates to lightdm. I too had problems about a month ago with lightdm http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=823.0 but eventually solved them with your help.

But is this rash of recent borkage, apps like gpodder (ok now), calibre (ok for today), spacefm, lyx, mplayer (off and on), mirage, all breaking related to lightdm issues? or libgt issues?

I gave Sector11's post a read through (http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=34355&p=1) and that seems all somehow related to my own former issues, though more complex.

I guess what I want to know is
1) are these problems indicative of underlying troubles in the Debian or apt organizations?
2) I have suspected there is a bug in dpkg or apt for about 2 months. I am seeing lots of apps get uninstalled and others installed. Is this part of the problem?
3) what's the best advice to update frequently, but avoid the breakage?
4) and remind me how to put an html link under text so I can click on it.

statmonkey

I can only speak for myself.  These are all very good questions and I think the answer is still unclear.  There is evidence that there are various issues.  There have been changes to the libgt packages (most of which are resolved I think), I have several packages that seem to be changed in structure and I also am trying to better understand what services are running and what are not and why.  I have been surprised a few times when I go to do something and it doesn't work.  If anyone knows of a good place to learn the nitty gritty of what systemd does and how it is supposed to work I am all ears.  I don't know of any issues with apt or dpkg, with Sid we sometimes go through this but it has been a couple of years since I have seen it like this, I do think it will work itself out.

As for upgrading frequently the best advice I can give is to watch what it going on, don't update unless you are entirely comfortable with what is changing on your system and if you have questions post something in here for advice.  Understanding how to hold packages is a plus and better to not upgrade than to wipe out something you need or want.  Example I waited a couple of days for Calibre to work through it's in and out before upgrading.

FWIW I am still having issues with lightdm doing what it is supposed to do and with it configuring properly.  If and when I figure it out I will post something here.  Maybe one of the guru's here have better advice?

jedi

Tis my belief this is still related to libglib2.0-0 and/or Gtk3.  I have not had any issues with apt of dpkg.  We have had a pretty smooth ride with SID the past couple of years, and have been spoiled by the awesomeness of our distro.  I think it says tons of VastOne that VSIDO has had such a smooth run.

I believe that this is indeed SID throwing a tantrum, and will be over soon.  Fingers crossed.  Reading through that 'other' thread, doesn't shed any light for me on the current state of events, and I'm fairly certain has nothing to do with what is happening now.

A few days of patience, all will probably be sorted out...
Forum Netiquette