Light DM issues

lwfitz

^ Exactly what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation Statmonkey! So my guess is that if we give it a couple days this will be fixed
Don't Be A Dick!

statmonkey

Ha!  would not have found it wo your tip.  Easier to resolve once you have an idea.  The get back to a known beginning move was a good one.  You took one for the team there as I have been too nervy to do a re-install given the current state of affairs. Kudos lwfitz

VastOne

I would like this cleaned up and put in another thread and marked as solved if at all possible

Has every package that was held now unheld?  Is it all simply a matter of timing?

Let me know please.. thanks!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Im always willing to take one for the team as long as it moves us forward  8)

@ VastOne

No, I still have

libglib2.0-0

being held withich in turn holds the following back

gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 glib-networking
  glib-networking-common glib-networking-services gnome-themes-standard
  gnome-themes-standard-data libglib2.0-0 libglibmm-2.4-1c2a libgtk-3-0
  libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common libgtkmm-3.0-1 libsoup2.4-1

So all those packages I cant upgrade without bricking my system again. Should I wait to mark it solved until I can actually update successfully?
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Until all packages can be unheld and those can be updated it is not solved.  I misunderstood, I thought you had unheld them all

Thanks

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Since I am on a new install I am going to unhold and update to confirm. If I blow it up I can just reinstall tonight
Don't Be A Dick!

statmonkey

Well it is kind of solved.  If you held the packages before upgrading (as I understand it) then it would keep you from downloading broken packages.  If, like I think most of us did, you unknowingly upgraded the glib packages then it will remain broken until they are fixed.  So it's solved in that we think that those packages being fixed will resolve it manner but if you did the upgrade already you will either have to not use spaceFM, etc. or you will have to reinstall and upgrade holding that package at the least.  lwfitz can correct me if this is wrong, or anyone else for that matter but that is my take on it.

For me it's solved in that I rebuilt lightdm and am manually run my config on reboot. I have also removed spacefm and some others and will reinstall when I see this fixed.  Personally though I have everything on hold until I see things like calibre not being removed and I am not being forced to add apache2, etc.  8)

oops everybody answered at the same time  :D

VastOne

^ Yes and I agree completely..

My version of solved is the bigger picture.. In terms of the next ISO build and there is no way I can go forward with so many held packages or a gtk3 version of spacefm

If this does resolve in the next few days then we may be able to stay with SpaceFM for a while longer but even that is iffy IMO.

I am also concerned that every solution I have seen for the mutex issue has been a patch to that specific application and that there may never be a solution for apps that are no longer maintained

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Ok I just went one step further and removed the hold on everything, essentially breaking my system again. I then manually downloaded the old version of  libglib2.0-0 which is being used by jessie (ver. 2.40.0-5). I then installed that version with dpkg and everything was back working. I can reproduce this simply by upgrading libglib2.0.0-0.

I will keep an eye on this and remove the hold and downgrade/dist-upgrade libglib2.0.0-0 until its fixed then post in here.

Don't Be A Dick!

statmonkey

[removed due to a sanity check by the author] :-[

Please erase my raving wild arse rant from your memories.  My apologies. 

lwfitz

I was on the phone when I was typing and was a bit wordy, what I was getting at is that I can confirm that the next version of libglib2.0.0-0 works properly. Just stating the obvious I guess ;)
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

^ I think you mean the previous version of libglib2.0-0... that would be in Testing/jessie being used by jessie (ver. 2.40.0-5) realm ...

The broken version we are at in SID is libglib2.0-0 ver. 2.42.0-1 0

So it would need to be a regression install of libglib2.0-0 .. just to clarify

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I am also shocked that none of this has made it to listbugs... hmmm unless of course listbugs is broken too!

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Oh shoot, your absolutely correct sorry about the misunderstanding. Doing too many things at once.

Fixed my post.
Don't Be A Dick!

statmonkey

Quote from: VastOne on September 21, 2014, 07:59:54 PM
For anyone using pcmanfm or thunar and get a not authorized to perform operation when trying to mount a device

edit / create

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/50-filesystem-mount-system-internal.pkla

with this

[Mount a system-internal device]
Identity=*
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.*
ResultActive=yes

It will resolve all mounting problems as long as udisks2 and gvfs are installed (both are by default in VSIDO)

Not as secure or as elegant as spaceFM but a fix for now

I wanted to bump this back to the top.  It probably needs to be in a thread of it's own but this indeed fixed the problems I was having with all my external drives.  This was pretty major for me because just turning on my external 4 bay was completely locking up my system.  A belated and bow and thank you to the Very Vast One.