Where the hell is kernel 3.15 in Debian's world?

VastOne

I have searched high and low and cannot find the 3.15 kernel in any sources (did not check Testing)

I know that 3.15 will be what comes in the next version of a debian release, but all the rest of the world seems to be using 3.15 and we in SID and Experimental sources are screwed... dafuq?

Anyone heard a why or what?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

I switched to the Liquorix Kernel.  It is at 3.15-8.  (did it for my nvidia card)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

I have experimental as part of the sources for VSIDO and it is not available at all to install or even seen (through APT)

I saw those references as well online but 3.15 is not available to install

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I just checked synaptic and saw that - but the 3.16 is available.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^Right, which is what is making this incredibly bizarre...

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I did a quick search through the debian security advisories and didn't see anything about kernel 3.15.

Didn't debian hold back/skip a kernel version once because of a security flaw?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I went to the debian IRC channel (OFTC) and got the typical grilling (Why do you want THAT kernel) ... (IT IS ONLY FOR DEVELOPMENT)  yada yada yada (funny how anal they can be about that)

Was told it is either EOL or that Debian skips kernels and only uses even numbered ones ... So, a kernel goes through RC testing in Experimental and then is booted because it is odd numbered?  dafuq I say?  dafuq? Or it is EOL before even released?

I got frustrated and left....

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

That's is funny how they grill you if you're using Testing or Sid - even though they're the ones making Testing and Sid publicly available for download.

Now that you mention it, I've heard that even-numbered kernel policy before. They may have made the switch when kernel.org went to their new release schedule/policy to keep their (debian) workload manageable.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Do you know RatMan if that is a new policy?

Here is where I call  BS on it from our own past..  This time last year VSIDO was happily using 3.11 kernel which was in SID then ...  I know this because I have only ever used the latest available kernel from the SID repos...   In February of this year we were on 3.13

So it must be a new policy?

I expect to be grilled every time I go there.  I always answer them with the same "I happily work in development"   It is a small minded vacuum I do not like to be sucked into

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

It's not new, and I'm pretty sure it's at least a year old.

Maybe it wasn't debian, but the only other distro I've used for longer than a month in the last 2 years is Slackware which wouldn't concern itself with a kernel policy like that.

It use to be (as per kernel.org) that the even numbered kernels were considered stable odd numbers were development - but that was for the 2.x series ( i.e 2.5 v. 2.6 ). I'm pretty sure that kernel policy was modified when the 3.x series came out and the pace of development increased. Maybe debian stayed with the older policy for internal consistency? But that doesn't explain the 3.11.1 kernel - unless the debian policy is for debian stable and not sid.

Debian testing only has the 3.14.x kernel image listed in it's packages.

If nothing else you now have the opportunity to learn all about debian kernel package management  :P
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

To put some kind of closure on this discussion, I did read in some release notes or a dev mailing list (fecking debian) that there was some kind of agreement to end 3.15 and switch to 3.16 immediately for whatever reasons... 3.16 has been released and I am now running it on this dev machine for testing.

I just grabbed the debs and followed this writeup and all is running fairly well

I dev VSIDO