Fishing appears to be popular with this group

PackRat

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Damn son!

What a haul.. what didya catch them on?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Thanks guys! The two smaller fish that I got were on my go to white/chartreuse spinner but that big one was caught on a fly lined live shad on 6# line and an ultralight rod.
I almost never fish live bait but the post spawn lmb bite can be tought out here. The fish get lockjaw and sometimes you just have to put crack in front of them   :D

Heres video after I hooked it. I was fishing with my buddy  Rich 

Don't Be A Dick!

Snap

I haven't go fishing in years. But spent three weeks in my homeland up north (it's been a while since I had proper holidays!) One of my sisters and I went fishing almost daily. I think the old bug is biting again. Just a few days back home and eager to go fishing again.

It was mostly horse mackerel, loads of chub mackerel and some varieties of seabream in the low activity mackerel periods (for some reason, at least in that area, where you find horse m, there's chub m. around too). Horse mackerel gets active at night. They use come up close to the surface to eat, but when they're not active even all along the night, chub mackerel seems hungry at all times.   ;)

It's curious that those two spices are called mackerel in English. Here we call them different and consider the so called horse mackerel not a mackerel at all. Just a distant relative.

BTW, anyone kayak fishing at sea around here? My sister and I are kicking around the idea of getting a pair for the next summer.

PackRat

Haven't fished from a kayak or conoe since leaving Minnesota - Lake Superior not exactly the ocean.

Do need to get something like a jon boat though. Clear the shore a bit and start hauling in the 5 lb or better bass.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

ozitraveller

Small fishing runabouts are call tinnies here! :)

Snap

Interesting. Similar flat-bottom and flat-ends kinda jon boats were once popular boats amongst fishermen in my area to fish inside the inner waters of the galician rias. They were called "chalana". You don't see them often there days. Well, most old fishermen's boat types have almost disappeared, actually. There's a small movement in Galicia trying to recover traditional boats. But still not a big thing  unlike the east coast were these kind of initiatives are much bigger, popular and successful.

lwfitz

Had a fantastic Bluefin trip last week

A few pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/VWj8MeGtM7JxSmLs5

Off to Mammoth on the 10th..........
Don't Be A Dick!

PackRat

Nice

We'll be ocean fishing later in October.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Fishing from the pier at Myrtle Beach; first time my oldest has been salt water fishing -

Shark came out from under the pier and stole my hook (someone counted 3 black tips, 5-6 feet hanging out under the pier this afternoon). Some nibbles, that was about it.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

I'd get those 5 or 6 feet back on the pier pronto!  A shark that long probably wont nibble!   ???
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

catch of the day/trip -

yougest caught a crab in the casting net. Both too small to keep so no crab dinner.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

ocean fishing and crabbing -

Atlantic croaker -

Last hurricane to come through damaged the fishing pier:

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

riV

Hello VastOne and hello everyone 
Home of the Yellowjackets 
Adjacent to the local high school campus is Stinger Lake stocked with Rainbow the first two months of the year.
The first sentence on the Posted Rules:
"Adults must be accompanied by children.  ..." 

PackRat

When Georgia eased back the covid restrictions we started fishing there as well as here in South Carolina. On one of the brackish estuaries, my oldest landed this ~50 pound black drum with 8 pound line:

link to full image

She won biggest fish for the trip; has her picture in the ranger station now.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo