Text in right-click dropdown menus in apps is greyed out [ SOLVED ]

vpiercy

Hi,

I tried to install Hotot Twitter client via Synaptic. Was told there were some missing packages, they couldn't be retrieved from the servers (I get that a lot). Installed anyway. Now the text options in my dropdown  menus in Iceweasel and Audacity are greyed out or even whited out. I removed Hotot via Synaptic. Still have the problem. What happened?

Any suggestions on diagnosis steps I can take or on a fix?

Thanks!

PackRat

Those the only affected apps?

First guess is that your gtk got messed up. try a different gtk theme and see if that resolves the issue.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

vpiercy

Thanks for the reply.

I changed the Widget in LXAppearance. I restarted. Looks like Iceweasel is the only app now with this behavior of whited-out menu text.

Apps that have the problem:
Iceweasel

Apps that don't:
SpaceFM
Audacity
Bleachbit
Medit
System Information
Xarchiver
Mirage
FileZilla
GMusicBrowser
[That's all I verified.]

PackRat

That issue has been addressed, you can try searching the forum for it. Simple tweak, but I don't recall what it is. You can try changing the Iceweasel appearance theme/persona.

As a last resort - after exporting your bookmarks as a backup - you can delete the ~/.mozilla directory. Next time you start Iceweasel, the directory will be recreated, but you will need to reinstall the VSIDO add-ons and import your saved bookmarks. 
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

vpiercy

Thanks for your replies!

Based on your latest reply, I found a thread here at vsido.org on a very similar problem (he was able to scroll over the menu item and read it, but I wasn't able to do that): "Topic: Iceweasel problem [ SOLVED ]" http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=621.0

Then I went to

https://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel#Troubleshooting

Following instructions there, opened terminal and ran:

MOZILLA_DISABLE_PLUGINS=1 iceweasel -safe-mode

This gives the option to "Reset Iceweasel" or "Start in Safe Mode" (easy pz, but I could no longer read the dropdown menu text in my existing Iceweasel or I could have seen the Help/Restart menu item, which does the same thing. Score +1 for the command line.).

I chose "Safe Mode."

The dropdown menu text wasn't washed out to the point of illegibility anymore. So, according to the wiki.debian Iceweasel document, "one of the installed extensions is the root cause of the problem." The only thing I'd added to the default add-ons had been Lastpass.

Having copied the suspect .mozilla folder to the desktop, I went into .mozilla/firefox/*.default folder, and copied the bookmarkbackups file. Then I pasted that into the newly reset Iceweasel home/.mozilla/firefox folder.

That preserved my history too.

But when I ran the safe mode Restart option command line, I got some errors reported in the terminal, which, as you mentioned, are Gtk theme related.:

(process:22549): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(iceweasel:22549): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "xfce",

(iceweasel:22549): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "xfce",

(process:22549): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

Error: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files

ADDENDUM

I used the "Safe Mode" just to see if the problem went away. It did. So then I used "Reset" and copied bookmarkbackups afterward.

PackRat

Are you using xfce instead of fluxbox?

Based on your error message, the only thing that comes to mind is that you're missing a gtk theme engine. If you got your theme from gnome-look or some other site, you can go back and check which theme engines it requires. If you're using xfce, one that comes to mind is gtk3-engines-xfce (it's in the repos) so that xfce can use gtk3 themes. Not sure how that applies to Iceweasel.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

vpiercy

I'm using Fluxbox. VSIDO pretty much out of the box (Debian 3.14.9-1 (2014-06-30)).

In terminal,

wmctrl -m

returns

Name: Fluxbox
Class: N/A
PID: N/A
Window Manager's "showing the desktop" mode: N/A

So yeah the "xfce" references are odd.

PackRat

Which gtk theme and fluxbox style are you using?

Using the Greybird gtk theme with the fluxbox bias_allblack style, I don't have any issues with iceweasel.

Tried google search for your issue and it always comes back to a gtk issue of some sort.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

hakerdefo

Looks likes you have some broken or held-up packages! Try to fix it,
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --fix-broken install
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo shutdown -r now
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want