Grub2 Methodology

VastOne

This is a simple explanation of how I use Grub2 so that I do not need to edit anything every time I do a new install or distro test.

This comes in handy when you are testing multiple distros or have multiple partitions for install testing.

VSIDO comes installed with Grub2 ... The real 'new grub2' has many new features, you can read about them in those release notes.

Unless this is a first time install of grub2 on a new disk or drive, all of us usually have a 'go to' distro partition.  Mine is on /dev/sda3 and from that login of VSIDO is where I manage Grub from.

The first step is easy, from your favorite go to login simply install grub2 to the MBR this way

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
This locks in grub2 from this login/device/distro as the Master Grub Keeper

Now update grub by running

sudo update-grub
NOTE - If you want grub2 to load every distro you have you must have each device mounted in order for grub2 to see them during this phase.  VSIDO comes with disk-manager, simply run it to mount everything in fstab.

NOTE - If this is your first install of any Linux / Distro /Grub2 then allow the install to install grbu2 to the MBR

Now lets say you decide you want to test another distro or install VSIDO to another partition for testing.

Do your normal installation, but DO NOT allow that installation to install grub to the MBR. Make it install it to it's own dev.  If you were installing onto /dev/sda2 for example, during the grub install you tell it to keep the grub install on it's own device (/dev/sda2).

Now that the install is done, you can now finish the grub setup this way.

Login into your Master Grub Keeper / favorite distro where you installed grub 2 to the MBR.  The UUID of the new install has changed and your login here will not recognize it.  Fix it all like this:

run disk-manager again so that it loads the new partition into fstab and mounts it

from terminal run

sudo update-grub
logout / reboot and in your Grub Menu your new distro install is there to choose and run.

I realize this takes an extra step and 5 more minutes on an installation, but for me having one Master Grub Keeper is easy and simple to manage. This is more about Methodology than a How To.  Let me know if you have questions.
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Following these steps have made my test partitions way more easy to recognize and boot!  Thanks for the great info.  I did however, just see the extlinux How To that lwfitz did, so I'll probably try that too!!!!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous