linux-image-3.14-1-686-pae boot

wpeckham

Within the last few days there was an update to the kernel image, and I stopped being able to reboot.
It looks as if the drive is not recognized, the error indicates that the UUID was not found.  Odd, since the UUID repoorted is correct, and works fine with all earlier kernels.  In fact it worked with earlier 3.14 kernels!

This is an old HP laptop, but I think that unlikley to be significant.  Not looking for cause or troubleshooting at this point, or I would post a small library of diagnotics.  Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this.  Have you?

PackRat

Not personally, but I've seen other posts about it - kernel upgrades cause problems with UUID and hwmon so conky doesn't display correctly either. I don't recall if it is specific to pae kernels.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Hello wpeckham...

This sounds like more of a grub issue than a kernel one and there has been a boat load of changes to grub lately.  OTOH if it were grub we would definitely see more issues reported

What ISO did you use to install?  A very very recent one?

Like you I am more curious than anything
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

wpeckham

Issue appeared resolved after several updates.  Not sure if it was grub or the kernel, but since it did not affect the otehr kernels I simply bypassed it.  Running 3.16 amd64 kernel now with different issues involving only apt-get.
I wish I knew what caused this, but since I can no longer recreate the problem, we can close the discussion.