Fluxbox dual head workspace setup question

VastOne

I have 2 monitors setup to a single card on a machine. I want to be able to park an app (mplayer and a movie) on workspace 2 and switch back to workspace 1 and work on other things (VSIDO builds)... BTW, I set it up in Xorg.conf and I use the nouveau drivers

I know how to move everything between the two spaces but am curious how one would park an app on a specific one

Thanks
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Workspace 2 or Monitor 2 - either way, I think you do that with the apps file. If you get into the Window Menu and come down to the "Remember" submenu, one of the options is Head. Selecting this will write the pertinent entry to the apps file. End up with something like -

[app] (name=gnome-mplayer) (class=Gnome-mplayer)
  [Workspace] {1}
  [Head] {1}
  [Deco] {NORMAL}
  [Jump] {yes}
  [Layer] {8}
[end]

I only have a single monitor so note that fluxbox starts counting monitors from 1 in the apps file. You can also specify the fluxbox workspace you want an app to start on etc ...

I'm not sure if you'll need to mess with xrandr - recent post from gentoo user - http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/261764?page=last

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ per that... I was writing this as you responded   :-*

I have worked on the apps file and now know how to start an app in a specific workspace and manipulate it and save it... But I have yet to resolve how to keep smplayer on workspace 2 and switch back to workspace 1 as two separate entities

[app] (name=smplayer) (class=Smplayer)
  [Workspace] {1}
  [Head] {1}
  [Dimensions] {76% 96%}
  [Position] (UPPERLEFT) {0% -1%}
[end]

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I initially set this up using xrandr and configs from arandr ... there was a problem not able to get the first monitor to 'stretch' correctly.  Because of this I switched to a xorg.conf setup and it works perfectly, setting up each display with the correct resolution

As a side note, nitrogen is a really slick app in that it recognizes dual displays and allows you to set a different image for each one

Tint2 also works in having only the icons open on each desktop on the panel... that surprised me.

BTW, I have been working on this all day and have searched google till my eyes have bled... I am beginning to think it is not possible.  I also have not heard anything on #fluxbox IRC from the questions I have posed there

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Are you trying to get true multi-head support so that you will have different virtual desktops on each monitor? I think you're right, that may not be doable in fluxbox without patching. Openbox is the same way; there is a patched version in the Arch AUR that will do it, but the EWMH is - by design - broken so you can't drag apps across monitors. The only window managers I know that have true multi-head capabilities are awesome and xmonad.

Or, are you trying to stretch one virtual desktop across two monitors and have smplayer remain on one monitor while you do your development on the other monitor? That is suppose to be doable with fluxbox.

I thought xinerama was now compiled by default in fluxbox. In a terminal, what does:

fluxbox -info | grep -i xinerama

return?

I'm assuming nouveau drivers support it.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Yes xinerama is supported and that grep returns it

I am trying to do what you described, stretch a desktop ... I can send an app to a workspace, but I have not found the magic behind a virtual desktop with xinerama in fluxbox

This was the response on the IRC

QuoteVSIDO: no. but you can (if you have 2 monitors) make one window "sticky" and keep it on all workspaces.

I dev VSIDO