(Solved)Shutdown/Reboot

zbreaker

Hmmmmm..

After dist-upgrade a week or two ago I cannot shutdown/reboot from the normal right click option.
I "think" it was after an upgrade when apt mentioned "systemd" as a new package. Log out works but clicking on
either shutdown or reboot does nothing. Currently accomplishing both via terminal ( eg: sudo shutdown -h now) but it would
be nice to get back to normal, Any insights appreciated. All else running flawlessly.

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Did that help at all zbreaker?

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

At work atm.

Going to give it a shot later tonight hopefully. From what I read in the post it looks like the 2 cases are pretty analogous.

Always helps to "search" first  :-[...but I was having a hectic evening. Will let you know. Thanks as always!

VastOne

No issues man... we all have to deal with chaos once in a while.. 

I just hope it gets you solved and want to know also what the heck is happening to have apt remove systemd

I have not seen anything like this at all and it troubles me

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Were python and dbus also updated? Might want to run the vsido-exit script in a terminal and see if it throws a python or gtk error at you.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Both of those have recently been updated... my issue is why some folks see it and not others

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

zbreaker, it will also be interesting to try the following commands from terminal,
sudo systemctl reboot
or
sudo systemctl poweroff
Output from this commands will provide some useful information.
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

zbreaker

zbreaker

From  VO code..... also hackerdefo your code produces the desired result, but problem persists.

zbreaker@vsido32box:~$ se systemd
systemd:
  Installed: 204-10
  Candidate: 204-10
  Version table:
     208-1 0
          1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
*** 204-10 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
zbreaker@vsido32box:~$

zbreaker

Late breaking news.....

After a apt-get install -f & reboot, shutdown/restart menu working as intended. But, system takes an inordinate amount of time to initially
boot up about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes! Screen dialog hangs at systems fsck of sdb4 (root) and all disk activity seems to stop. Then after awhile
sequence resumes and I'm at login. I've 3 hd's in this box - 1TB, 500G & 500G. No probs previously. Will tackle this later in the weekend.
I love a good challenge ;)

VastOne

Good to hear...

When you get a chance, please post your fstab so that can be analyzed... your long boot issue is most likely related to a setting there

Cheers

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

fstab
Gone most of Saturday. get back to troubleshooting on Sunday.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb4 / ext4 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sda5 /media/sda5 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb3 /media/sdb3 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdc7 /media/sdc7 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdc5 /media/sdc5 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb5 /home ext4 relatime 0 0
/dev/ none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

jedi

Comment (#) out the swap line in the fstab and your boot time should go back to normal...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

zbreaker

jedi, worked like a charm....u da man 8)

Many thanks to all who helped. This little distro and community are truly top shelf.