gdebi not working [SOLVED]

jedi

Yes I know it is the lazy mans tool.  I am a lazy man!  I can do a 'dpkg --install foo.deb' with the best of them, but gdebi has always been so convenient.  Just double-click on any .deb file, gdebi automatically started, installed the .deb and all was good.  Now however, double-clicking on a .deb file results in gdebi opening for just a brief second then closing with no error, and failing to install the selected .deb file.
Just wondering if it is my machine or if others are seeing this as well...
Thanks...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Does gdebi write a log file - in /var/log/ maybe? Or can it be configured to do so, then  double-click a deb file.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

I have seen this, but only because a dependency was not met and gdebi was not reporting it correctly

If you try the same install with sudo dpkg -i it should tell you what is happening

I just went through this with a new install of Virtualbox
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

From your terminal run,
sudo gdebi package_to_install.deb
Ofcourse you replace 'package_to_install.deb' with the package you are installing. You'll get some sort of error message(s) in terminal from gdebi that might offer some clues.
By the way if you want to launch graphical gdebi from terminal then the command is,
sudo gdebi-gtk package_to_install.deb

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

This is happening with every deb and the error is

AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'op_progress'

I am working on resolving it

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

gdebi updated today via a dist-upgrade in the SID repos and is now working correctly

I dev VSIDO