Chromium or Iceweasel

VastOne

This discussion is overdue and with the latest issues with Iceweasel Aurora 30, it is very relevant

Right now Iceweasel (30) is broken and I have loaded and began using Chromium.  On one hand, everything is working and it does seem to be lighter both in memory and cpu.  OTOH, I get BULLSHIT ads in gmail which is a fecking joke... even though I have adblock loaded and engaged... adblock works on removing ads from any site but a google site, that is a deal breaker to me.

I would like to hear feedback from anyone...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

Iceweasal/Firefox has always been slightly preferred  over Chromium personally. Even with the current bOrkage, I am confident things should get back
to norm shortly. On a more "non-free" vein I've also happily used Opera and still consider it to be a top performer.

jedi

I too will stumble through the borkage of Iceweasel for now.  The borkage with Chromium seems even worse to me and is intolerable...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on March 23, 2014, 09:24:30 PM
.... adblock works on removing ads from any site but a google site, that is a deal breaker to me.

that pretty much says it all; I had some similar issues last I tried it.

I too can put up with some broken-weasel knowing that it will get fixed.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ ^^ ^^^ same here...

One thing that REALLY pissed me off was a message from an add while on gmail... 'You are getting this Ad (Axe soap) due to what is seen in your email'

Now perhaps this message has always been there and blocked correctly since I have always used Iceweasel and this is the first time I have seen it... but WOW!  Really?  Telling me directly that you are spying on my email ...

That takes some balls...

I used to run my own email server forever... (when I owned vastone.com) ... perhaps it is time to just shift over to vsido.org or setup my own server again

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

Using smxi, try install google-chrome stable, what I use, and I rarely get any !@#$ ads!
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

siralucardt

In Sid, I prefer to use Iceweasel 24 (ESR version).  The only thing that bothers me though is that some of the addons I like using are outdated or abandoned.  I've tried using other browsers, but nothing else could convince me to switch so I just deal with the shortcomings.  Also, I trust Mozilla more than I do Google.

lwfitz

I have waited for this discussion since VSIDO was released and thought for sure I would push for chromium. Sadly, for the betterment of VSIDO as a whole my vote is to stay with iceweasel.
I love chromium and its what I use daily but every few months it updates and then becomes unusable as it will crash the desktop and send me back to lightdm to login again. This can be a problem if you have open work as it obviously closes everything and work gets lost.

This seems to be the first real issue with iceweasel that I have seen in over a year. That's not a bad run on an "unstable" operating system
Don't Be A Dick!

hakerdefo

I would vote for Iceweasel. Though I don't use it much. But when it comes to choosing between Iceweasel and Chromium, I would only say 'Better the devil you know'  ;)
Personally I've always been opera fan! It is light on resources and even with dozens of open tabs it doesn't drag the system down. Even on low specs machines opera runs super fine. It is available for and runs on almost anything and everything that can display a webpage  8)
I can keep my bookmarks synchronized between all my devices and operating systems with ease. It natively supports Chat services. Opera always has the best browser user interface. And for me it's killer feature is the built-in mail client. The best email experience out there. Only thing that can go against is, It is non-free, But hey so has been every single girl that came in my life  :P

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

siralucardt

I agree, Opera certainly is a contender, aside from it being closed source. They had halted releases for Linux, but a new one is in the works according to Ruari (just don't know an exact date)...
http://ruario.ghost.io/2014/03/02/linux-and-blink-powered-opera/

I've been wanting to try out dwb but haven't gotten around to it yet...
http://portix.bitbucket.org/dwb/

ozitraveller

I usually use google-chrome-stable, and just try and ignore the ads. Either really works for me.

But for my distro live-build I prefer iceweasel as it's a much smaller package and takes up less space in the image.

just my 2c's

:)

superwow

VastOne you might try changing to AdBlock Edge. It apparently is the cutting edge blocker which hasn't sold out. Adblock has entered corporate agreements to allow ads from some retailers (for a fee).

Or you might consider blocking ads at the machine level with HostBlock. It definitely works but I am not using it at the moment (have never used it on VSIDO) since I just don't have enough time to configure at the moment. Arch friends keep an active thread, a delish read if you are like minded.

As to the browser topic, for years I was a total Firefox whore. If simply for Vertical Toolbar. I still love it, but, I have to admit, the integration of Chrome with Google services is fantastic, despite the ads. Especially if you have an Android phone or tablet. A substantial reason MS is losing marketshare to the painfree ChromeOS imho. I have a hard time sticking to Firefox/Iceweasel but I still love it. For me, it also renders webpages better in VSIDO than Iceweasel, and it's decorations are more consistent than Iceweasel. Not sure why. Plus Chrome generally outlasts the other browsers in security challenges which is a substantial concern of mine.

I agree with others on Opera too; they are innovators the others copy, even if they aren't FOSS. But for FOSS options, Midori and SeaMonkey are pretty dern good last time I used them.

hakerdefo

Quote from: superwow on March 25, 2014, 06:37:26 AM
...Or you might consider blocking ads at the machine level with HostBlock. It definitely works but I am not using it at the moment (have never used it on VSIDO) since I just don't have enough time to configure at the moment...

No need for difficult and time consuming configs. Here is a simpler solution,
http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=757.0

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

tlinsley

I generally prefer FF/IW over Chrom(e|ium) every time.

But...if you want to avoid the Gmail ads in Chrome, load up the Gmelius extension from the Chrome web store.  It blocks the pesky Gmail ads and allows you to "correct" some of Gmail's UI issues.

blaze

Just my 2cents, Iceweasel/Firefox Aurora, because I am used to it and it always deliver.
blazingaway