Northern Maine in Winter! (or, how miserable can life get?)

ozitraveller

Quote from: jeffreyC on April 02, 2014, 01:10:08 AM
For those who wonder  -40 C = -40 F

That is the point where the two scales cross.

-40C = -40 F = 233.15K  ;D

Does anyone do ice fishing? Like I saw in the Grumpy Old Men movie.

hakerdefo

Northern-Southern lights, Snow, low temperatures! I would want to be there! Really! Cause here we have nearly 300 days of sun, Day time temperature range of 30-40 C through out the year, Annual rainfall of 70-90 in.
Maine and Tasmania seems fascinating places. To be honest only thing I know about maine is jedi and Stephen King ;)
I'm a bit more familiar with Tasmania. Bellerive Oval, Boon, Ponting and ofcourse, ozitravellar ;)

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

ozitraveller

G'day matey!

You forgot Cascade! ;)

30-40 all year round is too hot me, just over summer is bad enough! Almost hit 50C a couple of years ago! Which is crook 'cos the roads melt!

Cricket reference: "I'm a bit more familiar with Tasmania. Bellerive Oval, Boon, Ponting"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

hakerdefo

Quote from: ozitraveller on April 02, 2014, 05:04:13 AM
You forgot Cascade! ;)
Oh yes! I forgot Cascade! I think Boon's record of drinking 52 cans of beer on a flght from Australia to England still stands  ;)

Quote from: ozitraveller on April 02, 2014, 05:04:13 AM
30-40 all year round is too hot me
Yeah it's too hot! You can get accustomed to cold but not to heat!
And coming to cricket here is a good read for Americans who want to know more about the greatest team game on earth  8)
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/fall11/oconner_c/baseball.html

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

ozitraveller

As far as I know that record still stand and is unlikely to be beaten.

I prefer test cricket, all 5 days of it! ;)

ozitraveller

@jedi - are there covered bridges in Maine? I saw some in an old movie with Cary Grant.

jedi

Yes there are still some historically preserved covered bridges here in The County.  One is in Perham about 15 miles west of me.  While working for UPS, I lived in Indiana and they also had several there.  My parents live in Missouri, (VastOne could also verify this) and I believe there are still several functioning there as well.  A lot of the communities up here where they still have one they are famously painted and decorated inside and out.  A very cool sight!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

ozitraveller

I'm curious to know what would be the reason for covering the bridge too? Stop the snow from destroying the bridge maybe? Interesting...

PackRat

You are correct; the cover protects the structural and load bearing portions of a wooden bridge from the elements.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jeffreyC

Also by keeping rain and snow off the bridge it avoids ice forming on the bridge.
Bridges get iced before the road due to being open underneath, and a bridge is a very dangerous place to suddenly hit ice while driving.

ozitraveller

Also a good place to shelter in bad weather too. So long as it doesn't burn the bridge down, or wash it away, or shake it to pieces.