Northern Maine in Winter! (or, how miserable can life get?)

jedi

Some shots of the latest blizzard results.  These things happen so often up here, they don't even make the news.  Another 2 feet last night!  I'm ready to shed this mortal coil and head someplace a lot warmer!  5 hours of steady snow removal yesterday, and I get to look forward to it again tomorrow!  Well, actually, I have some to do today as the wind hasn't stopped and is slowly filling the driveway again.  The house you see with the snow almost to the roof is my next door neighbor...
As an aside, the roofs look bare due to the high winds dumping all the snow in my driveway.
The tire tracks in the driveway are from windblown snow "after" getting it cleared and having to run for gas...
My poor neighbors;

My front yard;

View from the side door looking West down my driveway;

View looking North from the end of my driveway;

Again, looking west down the driveway at my snowbound Jeep;

Taken the night before during the storm;
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

siralucardt

That is a ridiculous amount of snow!! And to think...I'm trying to move up north :-\

lwfitz

Jedsdesk..... There has been one day this winter where I couldnt wear shorts and flip flops.

Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

Quote from: lwfitz on March 14, 2014, 11:34:23 PM
Jedsdesk..... There has been one day this winter where I couldnt wear shorts and flip flops.

Oh, no one up here wears clothes.  What gave you that idea?  This whole part of the state is a nudist colony...   
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

lwfitz

Ahahahahahaha!

I'm sitting in the drive thru getting dinner and they think I'm crazy, that's hilarious!

I swear it's just cuz it's cold outside.....
Don't Be A Dick!

zbreaker

jedi..that is insane. I live about 40 miles north of NYC and I thought we were having a rough winter.
Reminds me a bit of when I went to college in upstate New York and we got the crazy lake effect snowstorms.
I really acquired some winter driving skills during those years ;)

ozitraveller

I can't imagine what it's like to live in that sort of cold.

I've only see snow twice in my life so far! Both overseas..

It might get to -7C in the middle of winter when the wind is from the south.

I like your pic though! One day I must try a White Christmas!

;)

jedi

Not sure what it would translate to in Celsius, but we've had a few -40F (wind chill) and one night the wind chill hit -49F...  Regular temp I believe was something like -27F, though I tend to remember the wind chill temps as they seem so extreme most of the time!
Right now we're on a 3 day snow-fall.  Over 140 inches of the white stuff so far this winter.  At least 8" of that came today, the first day of Spring, and calling for more tomorrow!  Happy Happy, Joy Joy...
Forum Netiquette

PackRat

@ jedi -

-7C is around 20F.

They issuing some flood warnings for your area?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

Flood warnings would mean liquid in some form!  Everything here is frozen solid till probably the middle of April.  However when the thaw happens, if it happens quick, it will be disastrous.  Fort Fairfield lost it's main bridge a couple of years ago when the ice broke up.  There were chunks of ice floating down the Aroostook River that were the size of small homes.  The noise was incredible.  Up here they call Spring the "Mud Season" for good reason!
Forum Netiquette

ozitraveller

jedi

Quote from: ozitraveller on March 30, 2014, 11:01:12 PM
Do you get the northern lights that far up north?
Indeed we do!  Sometimes they are so spectacular, it is like looking at an alien sky...
Forum Netiquette

ozitraveller

That would awesome to see! Have you any photos?

Curious: since it's so cold up there, do you guys do the Scandinavian sauna thingy? A sauna and a quick plunge naked into the snow? :o

PackRat

The sauna thing is very popular in Minnesota and other states around the the Great Lakes where there is a large population of Scandinavian decent. Common to see the Northern Lights there as well.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Indeed... I recall a cold and crystal clear night in Chicago on Lake Shore Drive (LSD) and coming out of an incredible party having the Northern Lights putting on one hell of a display over the city and Lake Michigan

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO