Internet - Network strange issue - Question

VastOne

I recently updated my ISP from 12MB  to 30mb down and from 1mb to 3mb up...

On all machines, the 3 mb up speed works and is a constant speed on all machines and all test sites

On my www / V-Ger / file server machine all tests show 25-30mb download speeds on every site and every test

On this machine, which has the same hardware and the same network setup and goes through the same router(s) as the other machine but the most I ever see on this one is 8-9mb download speed on every site and every test

Any one care to venture an idea or guess on this?  It is a strange on IMO
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Possible dns issue? Maybe rather than having your router handle dns set dns (in your router or that specific machine) to googles dns which is 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.8.8

Maybe try flushing dns cache?

sudo /etc/init.d/networking force-reload

or

sudo /etc/init.d/dns-clean restart

Has it always been this way or just since you uped your speed?

I had a similar issue at a business here in town. I should note that they had far more IP's Im sure than you do but not having the router handle dns fixed it for me.
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

I believe it has always been this way...  but before when it was 12 mb down the difference was not so glaring

I have been using  Googles DNS for a couple of years now... A reboot flushes the cache...

Thanks for the links

I am going to do several tests... swapping hardware being the most absolute test...  I just switched the wires and that did not help

In the end I think drive swaps will be the most telling

Will let you know in a few days, I am off to golf for a while

Thanks

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Any of you seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy...?  It is a great and cunning mystery

And this issue is just like it... tinker tailor soldier spy.... we have ALL been here at one time or another, a great and cunning mystery

Swapped out the hard drives on these two near identical machines...

Rebooted and found that the one that was only pulling in 9 MB was now in fact getting 30Mb (as expected)

Now it gets real good... On the machine with .... and I am not going to tell you what happened, I am going to leave it to you to guess what happens next ... this machine should now be getting 9 MB, right?

I have left you the clues.... (suffice it to say that this is now a closed issue)

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

The 30 MB switchover could also be construed as  Ockham's broom

Ockham's broom is an implement conceived by Sydney Brenner as the device whereby inconvenient facts are swept under the carpet. This is common practice in biological research where the facts often cannot be explained all at once; but in due course the edge of the carpet must be lifted and the untidy reality confronted

So the mystery is, why is it after no other changes except to switch hard drives from one machine to the other, that both machines now see 30mb

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Did you connect the drive from another machine to the same motherboard port where the original drive was connected?
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

Yes, BY Gawd I DID! ...

An exact switchover

???

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Quote from: VastOne on March 15, 2014, 05:37:12 AM
Yes, BY Gawd I DID! ...

An exact switchover

???

So The Mystery Remains, Well, Mystery  ;)
Anyways All's well That Ends Well.
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want