Epson DX5000 printer [ SOLVED ]

Gordon

Hi all

Am having trouble installing the above printer. I have run system-config-printer
several times now. I have even downloaded the printer driver for a 64 bit board of the net. System-config-printer find the printer and driver OK but will not apply it. Any ideas how to get round this please ?
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

jedi

Hey Gordon.  First, when you install VSIDO, the welcome-script gives you an option to install CUPS.  Make sure you have done so.  CUPS is easily configured through your web browser at the following address;
localhost:631
Actually to go back a step, you'll want to add your username to the lpadmin group.  You can do this from terminal by doing the following;
'adduser username lpadmin' (where username is the name you gave yourself, and the name of your home directory)
Minus the apostrophe's of course.  Now in your browser, go to the above address and at the top of the web page you'll see where it says "Administration".  Click there, click on the "Add Printer" button and typically your printer will be the second choice on the list.  Make sure it is checked, and at the bottom click on continue.  On the next page I never change anything, I just go to the bottom and click on "Continue" again.  On the next page that comes up, you should see your printer highlighted in the "Model" selection.  If not scroll through them until you find yours, highlight it and click on "Add Printer".  On the next page, select the "Default Options" button, and you should be all set.  From there, things should be pretty self explanatory.

Good luck, and let us know if you need anything further...

jedi
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Gordon

Hi jedi,

Thanks for the reply and info. I did try localhost:631 before I posted but what I didn't know was that I first off all had to 'adduser username lpadmin' once I had done that it all worked OK. I am now able to print once again thanks to you

Again Thank you
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO