(SOLVED) Tint2 stops working

VastOne

Starting in this thread we talked about issues with tint2 and how it fails to work from the systray panel

@PackRat

I am still seeing issues where the  tint2 top right panel stops working... It does still work, for instance xchat blinks when there is a message, but no right or left click functions work at all on any of the icons.. in fact on a right click on the panel, I get the FB menu

I have moved it down to the bottom right and have not had an issue with it since...

I am beginning to think this has something more to do with FluxBox and it's layering than tint2... I do not use anything but Flux so it is hard for me to test it..  What would be nice is if the current setup could be tested in OB or any WM to confirm it fails on any of those

Any insight to this is appreciated
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Where is the slit located in your fluxbox setup?  (there is just no good way to ask that question)

If it's at the top where your tint2 tray was located, move it to the botom and see if you lose functionality in the systray.

I have the upper right tint2 w/ systray working fine. But it's unpatched tint2 with slackware - openbox is already installed.

Edit - it's working in fvwm on VSIDO. Noticed something since my fvwm isn't using compositing. The width of the conky window is 1700 (your resolution?) by default (.conkyrc in /etc/skel); but the conky ouput isn't that wide. The conky window may be causing the interference. I'm thinking conky and tint2 are placed on the same layer when started. If conky is started after tint2, it will always be above tint2 and you're clicking the conky window not tint2 icons. If conky is started first, it will be below tint2 until it refreshes then upon restart it is above tint2 again and the problem returns.

Try decreasing the conky window to the minimum width required to display the information and see if the tint2 systray works in the upper right.

tried a couple logout/login and reboots. Systray working.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ hehe ... there is no good way is there?

Slit is running as top center

I will move it to right center and see if that makes a difference... would like to just disable slit and eliminate it completely

Will let you know Rat Man

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Nothing changes when moving the slit around...

I have noticed something that may be relevant...  when tint2 is functioning on the bottom right, it will disappear at certain times... I usually have xchat closed to the systray and pithos also closed to it... but when it vanishes, I can right click in that area and it will return. 

I cannot explain how I know this, but I think something similar is happening when it is on the top right and just quits being clickable... again, everything works on the systray, it is not frozen, it just no longer functions as a systray

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

The tint2 systray works in bspwm -

this is actually an interesting setup to get a launcher, system tray, and clock into bspwm. Windows don't iconify in bspwm so the taskbar is a bit superfluous - could probably be set up as a pager. Worth some tinkering later on.

back on topic, still working after typing all this.

@Vastone, do you know if the functionality of the tint2 systray come and go in fluxbox? I know it will if tint2 is restarted, but I never let it sit and checked it at a specified interval.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I have not seen the functionality stop at anytime.  The panel can also work perfectly for hours and then stop

I am going to make it autohide for a while and see if that makes a difference

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I think you are on to something with the conky width

I just saw that edit... :D

Will test all day

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on February 02, 2014, 02:52:12 PM
Will test all day

I think you should go play golf or go fishing instead.

working fine in bspwm; going to let it sit and see if it stops:

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ I did that yesterday when the temps climbed to 60+ for the first time in 2 weeks

Ice on the lakes preventing fishing though and both the crappie and big mouths are not feeding

Today is back to 32 and freezing wind and sleet/snow

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

So far so good...

This is a good lesson in helping a dev.. I have not looked at certain things in a long long time, such as a 1700 width setting in a conky file...

Thanks PackRat!

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I ran it for a couple hours each in bspwm and fluxbox. No problems after decreasing the width of the conky window. Reminds me of the issues users would have with gnome2 desktop icons disappearing and/or blinking after doing a cut-and-paste of some conkyrc but not adjust for their screen aspect ratio.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Marked this as now solved...

I have ran 5 different systray apps and repeatedly switched between each of them one after another and cannot replicate the failure anymore

I dev VSIDO