February 2014 Screenshots

Digit

time for a fresh monthly screenshots thread.  u know the drill.  ;)

(as requested by pandachips, a scrot of my minimal-looking firefox ... not too minimal with that wasted line on tabmixplus (or whatever tab extension's caused that).

main features that contribute to the minimalism of firefox:
classic compact, classic compact options, tick checkbox to use small icons (right click on the bar somewhere that lets you select "customize" from the context menu), set the max tab width to smaller (may need to install an addon rather than just use about:config), use custom compact options (accesable from its preferences in about:addons) to further minimalise n clean up.  compact menu helps too. also using stylish with the following css applied to all sites: * {
   background-color: rgba(50, 33, 22, 0.8) !important; color: #EECCAA !important;
}
there are other darkening addons. 

not rly minimal, but i like having an always active stop button, for which there's an addon for too.
also using vimfx.  ;)  not likely to ever go back to vimperator or pentadactyl, as they try too hard to be too much.  ^_^
... and i'll spare you the bore about the other dozen+ addons i use. 

.ps ~
my minimal gtk theme likely also helps. "tarkless" [edit: adding link to raw text of fresh gnome-look upload: http://gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-files/163207-gtkrc ]  ... continuing development on my minimal gtk themes.   ... yet to suss enough to make a gtk3 one, but i'm definately getting closer every poke in that direction i take. i hope it kets me have the pixel perfect level of control i want, without being pointlessly over verbose in unavoidable syntactical constructs... as i fear it may be.

PackRat

^ Still xmonad; is that tint2 along the top, or did you create something in haskel?

Fluxbox, current work in progress:

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Digit

oh, along the top, that's tabs, using simpletabs in xmonad, a core feature in my "TabularBoonad" configuration variant of Xmonad.  so each of those are another window i can click on or cycle to with keybinds, as well as pop them out n in, move em up n down the stack with keybinds too.

if i bothered with the proper tabs, rather than the simpletabs thing, i could customise them apropriately too, colours, fonts, etc, but it is such a massive difference in config file complexification, that i've not bothered with that yet.   ... would be nice to get them the same theme as other stuff... switch from midtone grey to deep dark rich mahogany brown.  ^_^

ps an earlier version of tabular boonad (back when it was still a bit more niice n minimal) is available here: https://gitorious.org/tabularboonad ~ just had a look at my current xmonad.hs, it's too messy to share... i'll get it refined and will upload it to my gitorious someday soonish... it feels somewhat overdue, but also been reluctant to since i didnt manage to clamp down on a couple features i wanted to add, nor did i manage to stick to the confines of the concept, having added some other crufty features i never use that will prove to be as much work removing as they were to add. ~

lwfitz

Might as well start the month with a fresh install

Don't Be A Dick!

PackRat

^ a first step on the path to awesomeness.

@digit - VSIDO + tabbed Xmonad; sounds like a good candidate for the quarterly oddball release you were talking about in the KDE build thread.

back on topic - tabbed is so much better than tiling (IMO, of course):

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Digit

yup... though i dont think i'd like to subject people to that without having the keybinds presented to them in a wallpaper graphic.  ;)

since vsido3 is so tight n tiny, there'd be enough room for xmonad's big haskell deps and the resulting iso would still come out smaller than many other distros. ^_^

one thing it would be missing though, would be an effective auto-populating menu...  i sometimes use aewm's aemenu for that (though it seems to come up completely empty on my vsido install... maybe i just didnt install the debian menu stuff yet).  ... or maybe i shud just manually populate the gridselect app menu i have with the appropriate stuff.   ... yeah, worthy idea...  i'll have a look into neatening things up for that then.  :)

and yeah, to keep this thread on track... um, here's another scrot...
* Digit goes to find something more diverse and interesting looking than his last scrot, but realises he doesnt really have anything else open on the other workspaces, so just scrots where his is

PackRat

Drive by posting while waiting on latest, greatest (to date) iso -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

zbreaker

The wait is over....it has arrived 8)

Oh....and very cool....Slackware, my other distro love.

VastOne

Love the slack...

A little gimp work on a banner and icon merge

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Brand new install with the latest ISO.  64bit.  More Tint2 love.  8)

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

mrneilypops

dwmX 20140205 'black inferno'  8)

added ceni+ a few tweaks...

Still wheezy  based but move to sid planned...

Digit

MY EYES!  WHAT HAPPENED!?   XD

PackRat

^ ouch  ??? ; did it boot up that way or implode during use?

Back to Siduction for a bit; clean install of the NoX, configuring with VSIDO apps:

@VastOne - likin' the new look.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Digit

[edit][response to above]nah, that was after much intensive use.  idk what's the real culprit for x deciding to ommit certain characters, in a not entirely consistent way.  ^_^  i dont recall what gave remedy to it... i restarted a few of the affected apps, and did a xmonad --restart, and, yeah, seems to be ok now.  i think it started right after use of lxappearance, and was only a couple characters at first... had to invite someone through to look at the screen to confirm to me that there was indeed some letters missing... cos at first my thought was "oh shit, here comes a migraine", since that's how many of them start for me.  rather quirky fun.  didnt hurt, didnt need to reboot, or restart x, or anything drastic like that.[/response][/edit]

another  of my heretical posts. ;)  not on vsido!?  :O   heh, could easily be thoughh...  pretty much got the same apps n configs over there on my workstation still running that first version of vsido i ever installed ~ going strong, over a year on.

got my urxvt pimped in nicer colours now.  mmm.  looks good in tmux.  (and some termminal colours in .Xresources are easier to do than a tmux config.)

no fiirefox on this install... nor flash.  oh how  easy it is too keep my ram use in check.  :)

can always mpv any flash vids.  or mpv 'em over my sshfs mounts to the  workstation's exterrnal hd where i keep all those documentaries n lectures, n backups of sci fi n such.  :)   reallly learning too love mpv all the  more, in exherbo, where i have useflag level of control over what gets built in.  no silly gui controls pop up on my mpv in exherboo, since i disabled that lua option.  in binary os, though, of course, you  just get stuck with it howeverr it was packaged for you.  ...  hrmmm, maybe  i should have shown a scrot of that, before  i rambled about it. ^_^

ps,
xmonad still, of course.  my tabular boonad config.  that terminal with a tmux session covering the top half of the screen, that's in an xmonad scratchpad... giving me similar capability as i'd get from yeahconsole or tilda (a quake-style drop-down terminal), but with greater control over what application goes in the scratchpad, where it's placed, and so on.  not often featured in my screenshots, as it doesnt do it justice... maybe i should start a screencast to show off some workflows sometime.  ;)

Digit

Quote from: mrneilypops on February 05, 2014, 05:20:33 PM

ooh, missed that first time around, was too taken a back with my textual glitch.  ^_^

that is one hella nice desktop background image.  reminds me of my fave one ever, that i used for years on my triple headed "crunchayon".   idk what it is about a few rocks poping up outta the water on a shore, looking out across the water to land on the horizon, with a nice cloudscape that really does it for me.  ^_^