replace fluxbox with blackbox or add it

0day

i want try blackbox, how to for add blackbox wm and select it to boot?

jedi

Try 'sudo apt-get install blackbox', then on reboot, select the correct WM from the icon at the top right of the LightDM screen.  Should be pretty simple...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

0day

jedi

Lighter in resources?  Not enough to be a measurable difference in one way or the other.  (IMO)  Also, and anyone jump in here to correct me if I'm wrong, but Blackbox is no longer being developed, while Fluxbox is a 'fork' of Blackbox and is way more feature rich, while still being actively maintained.  Blackbox in essence would be like taking a step backwards...  (well unless on an ancient/antique PC would be the only thing I could think of it being beneficial, but as I stated above, resource differences are going to be infinitesimally small as to be inconsequential.)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

^ You are correct. Blackbox stopped being developed several years ago. Fluxbox, openbox, and a couple others that are no longer maintained were forked from blackbox.

If the OP really wants to decrease window manager resource usage, he can try using openbox without any 3rd party panels, or try another window manager like cwm, evilwm, flwm, or tinywm (default for Crux linux, I think) - none of which have native panels, but are EWMH compliant so you can use tint2, lxpanel etc ...; of course, there will be a decrease in features - like no window decorations - that he will need to deal with.

Jwm might suit your needs, Oday. It is similar in appearance to fluxbox, and has a native panel with systemtray - I posted a screenshot of the recent version in the screenshot thread. I think htop is running in that shot so you can see the resource usage.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

Forum Netiquette

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Digit

blackbox is by far the lightest of the *box triinity, and yes, it's got a very "stable" development.  ;)

if will indeed seem very feature-light compared to fluxbox and openbox, and not nearly as enjoyably configurable.

a solid choice if you want to keep it minimal and old skool.